Men’s golf hosts Duke Nelson, women compete at Dartmouth

The men’s and women’s golf teams finished sixth and 16th respectively at tournaments this weekend. This is the second weekend in a row that the teams have been competing. Last weekend, the men’s and women’s teams opened the season at the St. Lawrence Invitational. The women opened the season by placing third behind St. Lawrence and New York University while the men fished fifth at the event.

The men’s team hosted the Duke Nelson tournament this past weekend, Sept. 18 and 19, where 25 teams came to compete on the 71-par Ralph Myhre Golf Course. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute finished first, with a two-day score of 606. They were followed closely by St. Anselm (613) and Manhatanville College (615). Middlebury came in sixth with a score of 619.

“I think many teams underperformed this weekend and the golf course was playing tough,” said captain Jimmy Levins ’11. “We had a couple strong individual performances, but we have yet to put up a team score that reflects our full potential. I’m looking forward to when that happens because I know we are a very talented team.”

Brian Cady ’11 was the low man for the weekend, scoring a 72 on day two. He scored a weekend total of 150 placing him eighth individually. Andrew Emerson ’13 finished 12th individually with a score of 153. Teammates William Prince ’13, John Szmyd ’11 and Levins followed with scores of 158, 159 and 162 respectively.

The girls’ team competed in the Dartmouth Invitational this past weekend and placed 16th overall, but fifth among Div. III teams, finishing with a two-day total of 681.

“The Dartmouth course is pretty challenging compared to most courses we play,” said Caroline Kenter ’14. “Compared to years past we placed pretty well as a team. As a group we have definitely gotten a lot closer over the past two weekends.”

Keely Levins ’13 finished 15th overall with a two day score of 157. Flora Weeks ’12, Caroline Kenter ’14 and Jessica Bluestein ’11 followed with scores of 162, 174 and 188 respectively.

Both teams will compete again this weekend, the 25 and 26 of September. The women will travel to Mt. Holyoke while the men will travel to Williams.