Sports Briefs - 03/11/10

Men’s basketball earns top honors across the board

After winning the NESCAC Championship — decisively — over the weekend, the men’s basketball team could only expect to earn top NESCAC honors. Ben Rudin ’09 was named Player of the Year, Tim Edwards ’10 was named Defensive Player of the Year and head coach Jeff Brown was honored as Coach of the Year.

Rudin, the leader of the Panther offense, averaged 16.7 points per game (4th in NESCAC) while leading the league with 4.52 assists per game. Rudin has also written himself into Panther basketball history with 1,196 career points — seventh all-time at Middlebury — and 453 career assists, topping the all-time Panther charts.

Edwards led the Panther defense, which boasts the nation’s best field goal percentage defense. Individually, Edwards led the NESCAC with 2.26 steals per contest, while also adding 5.7 rebounds per game. Offensively, Edwards contributed with 4.22 assists per game, making him fourth in conference play.

Brown, a graduate of the University of Vermont, was the unanimous choice for coach of the year, as he led the Panthers to their first-ever NESCAC championship.

Women’s hockey players stand out after championship

After a successful 19-3-4 season and winning the NESCAC Championship this past weekend, it was expected that the women’s hockey team would earn honors. Three Panthers were awarded honors. Molly Vitt ’09 and Randi Dumont ’09 were selected to the first team, while Annmarie Cellino ’09 earned second-team honors.

Vitt led the Panther offense with 28 points, earning her a much deserved first- team selection. Vitt capitalized on Panther advantages with four power-play goals, three of which were game-winners. Vitt accrued a total of 69 points in 98 career games.

Dumont has been a leader for the Panther defense, allowing just 1.88 goals per game this season, placing her second in the league. Finishing the season with 14 points, Dumont scored a goal and distributed the puck in key situations, leaving her with 13 assists.

Cellino has earned all-NESCAC honors in all of her four years as a Panther, including rookie of the year and player of the year. She finished the season with 18 assists and nine goals, adding up to a 27-point season and a career point total of 151 in 106 games.

Men’s hockey players earn distinguished recognition

Jamie McKenna ’09 and first-year Martin Drolet ’12 were both named to the all-NESCAC first team, while Drolet also took home the league’s rookie of the year title. Both players were essential in the Panthers’ successful 19-7-1 season, and also led the team to the NESCAC Championships this past weekend at Amherst.

McKenna led the Panthers in points this year with a total of 36, while also recording a team-high 22 assists. Leading the NESCAC with 1.57 points per game, McKenna also shares the first-place spot for game-winning goals. McKenna is a semifinalist for the Joe Concannon Award, given yearly to the best American-born college hockey player in New England playing at the D-II/III level.

Leading the NESCAC with .76 goals per game, Drolet recorded 19 goals and 14 assists this season, combining for a total of 33 season points (second only to McKenna). Drolet has played in all 25 games this year, spending only six minutes in the penalty box — a testament to smart play — while capitalizing on other teams’ mistakes with six power-play goals. Drolet has three game-winning goals and has had four multiple goal games.