Seniors react to grad speakers

“I had never heard of these people before they were invited to campus. My standards for graduation speakers are pretty simple — if they can entertain me, great; if not, I don’t care how famous they are. Graduation is my time, not time for some stuffy famous windbag to tell me how I ought to make my way in life. I will be truly impressed if our speakers offer a piece of advice that I have not already heard.”

— Paul Gallagher ’10

“My high school had a prominent media couple speak and it makes the speech much more interesting and engaging when there are two people who can tag team and banter.”

— Grace Rumford ’09.5

“I was able to stick around for senior week my freshman year and had the chance to hear Bill Clinton speak at [the Class of 2007’s] graduation. Because his speech was so moving and he was such a high-profile figure, the ceremony left a strong impression on me and I have since been very interested in the yearly decision of who will be the last to impart wisdom to Middlebury’s graduating class. Honestly, I would feel a little gipped if the speaker at my graduation delivered a mediocre, uninspiring message.

I think Kristof and WuDunn will be great commencement speakers. I knew Kristoff’s name from his columns in the New York Times but had not heard of his wife’s name. I generally appreciate Kristof’s opinion pieces, and think the work he has done for human and social rights (particularly for women) are remarkable. I also admire the work he has done in China, since that is a place of interest for me, as well. I have no doubts he will deliver a message that is inspiring and fresh.”

— Doug Shultz ’10

“I am really looking forward to having Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn as our graduation speakers. I think that above name-recognition and fame, it is most important that we have someone who demonstrates the power of a good liberal arts education. To encourage Middlebury students to take the last four years of learning and opportunity and give back to the world around them, and to see that there are many ways to do this. Kristof took what he learned in the liberal arts: his ability to speak, problem solve, and, of course, write, to make a positive impact on the world. He has the ability to share his opportunity and experiences with others and bring the problems of the developing world, which are often so far removed from our scope of reality, to our Sunday breakfast table. Both he and Sheryl WuDunn are working to make a difference through their writing, including their new book, “Half the Sky,” about the empowerment of women worldwide. I think they are wonderful candidates for honorary degrees and will be both inspiring and entertaining in May.”

— Hannah Burnett ’10

“I don’t even know who they are, journalists or something? I’m mostly indifferent about who the speakers are. I think I’d be excited if it were someone really amazing, but I don’t really care much for ceremonies. They are all pretty much the same, no matter who talks.”

— Chris Free ’10

“I’m elated. I was aware of our speakers’ existence. And I don’t care who speaks, as long as they deliver something entertaining.”

— Lydia Ode ’10

“My parents adore their work and own copies of their books. After reading a few of their articles, I understood why they were asked to speak at Middlebury. Their focus on global issues falls [in line] with Middlebury’s emphasis on ‘looking outward.’ I’m sure that their message of ‘educational experiences beyond the classroom’ is something that will truly resonate with the students here at Middlebury.”

— Raina Lynn Crawford ’10