Spotlight on...Bruce Davis

Author: BRI CAVALLARO

Bruce Davis is an Architectural Light Design major from Norwich, Vt. with a passion for spinning.

The Middlebury Campus: How long have you been DJing for WRMC?
Bruce Davis: I started halfway through my first term.

The Campus: And what kind of thing do you play on your show?
BD: It's called Drum & Bass, otherwise know as 'jungle'. It's really fast break beats.

The Campus: How did you get interested in that?
BD: One of my friends when I went to my post-grad year at Northfield-Herman played some for me…like three years ago. I've been DJing progressive trance before that and then I got into drum & bass.

The Campus: So you DJed at your highschool too?
BD: Yeah, I've been DJing since I was in the 8th grade.

The Campus: Do you do any outside DJing?
BD: Not yet. I just finished my demo cd; I'm going to send it to Metronome in Burlington, Club Soda in Montreal, and a couple places in Chicago.
The Campus: Is this anything you want to keep doing when you graduate?
BD: I'm not even sure if I want to graduate…it's all I want to do. It ties in with my major; I'm an architectural light design major, and I really enjoy designing lights for interior spaces. I'd really like to design the lights for a club and work there as a DJ.

The Campus: Just working with ambience?
BD: Exactly. Lots of blue lights.

The Campus: Anything else you have to say about music? Any band you want to plug?
BD: I wish people were more open-minded about genres, in general. Basically, I think I was just born on the wrong continent; I guess in Europe they listen to electronic the way people listen to hip-hop here. That'd be nice.

The Campus: And what do you DJ under?
BD: It's DJ solidSTATE.

The Campus: How did you come up with that?
BD: It just kind of happened. For a while I was like 'no, not that, and no, not that,' and finally it just kind of happened. I like it, I think it works.