Relay for Life races to raise funds Kick-off event gives students a head start

Author: Kimberly Schrimsher

Cheers erupted from the audience as Ross Lieb-Lappen '07 and Meg Young '07 walked across the stage. With rock star energy the two Middlebury sophomores rallied about 75 students on a recent Tuesday night in McCullough Hall. They gave away prizes to the enthusiastic crowd, promoted an upcoming all-night spring party and challenged students to solicit as many friends as they could to attend. The date to remember is April 29 and the event is Middlebury's second annual Relay for Life to benefit the American Cancer Society (ACS).

Relay for Life is "an overnight party and a memorial service," said Young. "People get together on teams to walk the relay track, but they must keep a member walking at all times. We will not sleep that night, because cancer never sleeps."

Young and Lieb-Lappen introduced Relay for Life to Middlebury last year, having worked on the national ACS fundraiser in their hometowns. The co-chairs exceeded everyone's expectations by generating 46 teams and raising a whopping $84,000. Riding on their enormously successful debut, the students hosted the Jan. 18 kickoff to announce the 2005 relay goal of 60 teams and $100,000.

"People across the country talked about our success," said Young, recalling last year's event. "Middlebury raised the highest amount of money per person in New England," an achievement Young credits to the overwhelming support from students and the town of Middlebury.

"We had a few teams from the community at the relay last year and they were blown away that this event was put on by students," said Deb Jorschick, ACS Community Executive for Income Development. "Ross and Meg have unlimited energy and they make me tired just watching them. They are committed to the fight against cancer. When I was in college, we weren't doing this kind of stuff."

ACS originally proposed a 2004 goal of $19,000 for Middlebury, given the area's population. Lieb-Lappen wanted to be optimistic and shot for $25,000, the general goal of most large universities. "We challenged each person on a team to raise $100," he said. "Most raised well over the goal." As a result, ACS named Middlebury "Rookie of the Year."

Relay for Life is a national overnight fundraiser held in more than 4,200 cities. People create teams to raise money and participate in a relay walk throughout the night. Filled with festive entertainment, food and poignant memorials, Middlebury's relay unites students, professors and townspeople.

"We have the opening lap for the actual cancer survivors," said Lieb-Lappen. "Last year we sold more than 800 luminaries for $5 a piece in honor of or in memory of those touched by cancer. These bags are arranged alphabetically around the track and are lit at 9 p.m. during our luminary ceremony. All relay participants take a lap in silence followed by a lap led by bagpipes. These bags stay lit through the entire night."

Middlebury's Relay committee consists of 20 volunteers that have been working since September on the 2005 event. Organized into committees that focus on orchestrating elements of the event such as logistics, registration, food and beverages, luminaries, ceremonies, entertainment, survivorship, picture a cure, publicity and cancer education, these students make sure that the event will run smoothly. Student groups such as the Mischords and campus bands will make guest appearances. To nourish the fatigued participants, the Taste of Relay charges a small $5 fee and offers unlimited access to culinary delights from more than 15 area restaurants.

"We had such a positive turnout last year that I wanted to help again," said logistics committee member Caitlin Matthews '07. "My best friend's father died of cancer this past October and one of my family members was just diagnosed, which makes this event more important to me."

The students' familiarity with cancer, a disease that leaves few families untouched, is also what draws them to fundraise for a cure - in whatever way they can help.

"I was involved with Relay in high school and I wanted to continue to help because it's a good cause," Becky Bierman '08. My grandmother died of pancreatic cancer which also motivated me to come. I'm even thinking about starting my own team."

"My grandmother had cancer which makes Relay become much more relevant," said Lizi Geballe '07. "In recent years, I find that you keep meeting more and more people with cancer which is why this event is so important."

"I believe that the way technology is moving definitely gives hope to finding a cure within the next 10 to 15 years," said Johanna Riesel '05. "There has been a shift toward preventative health care, which will greatly help cancer patients."

Jorschick added, "Cancer's been a personal thing for me which brought me to work here (ACS). I got involved with Relay seven years ago when I lost my father-in -law to lung cancer. He was one of the longest survivors of lung cancer and I attribute that to the research and drugs that are available. We had five extra years with him that we probably wouldn't have had 10 years ago."

Relay for Life will be held on the soccer field behind Middlebury's football field. Campgrounds with tents will provide sleeping shelter for participants needing rest. A key change this year is the introduction of the theme "Relay 2005: Books Come Alive." The goal is to incorporate reading into the spirit of Relay by encouraging team members to come to the event dressed up as their favorite book character.

With the January kick-off, the success of the 2005 event now depends heavily on participants' ability to organize teams and raise money in the coming months. Anyone can start a team as long as a minimum of six individuals participate. Each team member is encouraged to raise a minimum of $100.