Volleyball Clinches First NESCAC Win of Season

Author: Dan Russell

The Middlebury College volleyball team began an exhausting five-match stint this past Thursday, which started in against Union College. The much-improved Panthers had a very strong outing, as they swept the Dutchwomen in three straight games by 30-20, 30-27, 30-19 to win the match decisively. Junior Sydney Hartsock '05 anchored the team offensively with 14 kills, while captains Katy Hicks '05 and Danielle Bonniello '04 added 15 together. The Panthers also had eight serving aces. The team's strength continues to be their defense, however, as sophomores Lacee Patterson '06.5 (14 digs) and Jamie Wong '06 (15 digs), and Luz Brito '04 (16 digs) all had great individual defensive outings.

Middlebury went on to play four more matches in the space of two days in the Amherst Classic, playing Wesleyan and Muhlenberg on Saturday, and Amherst and Trinity on Sunday. The Panthers struggled somewhat against the tougher NESCAC competition, but managed to stay competitive throughout the weekend.

Against Wesleyan, the Panthers displayed a great team effort, as Boniello and Hartsock attempted to carry the team with a combined 18 kills, while Patterson (14 digs, 2 block assists) and Wong (16 digs) once again had strong defensive outings. Sydney Hartsock posted a strong all around game, adding 15 digs of her own.

The Panthers fought valiantly, but lost the first game to Wesleyan by 30-28. In the second game, the Panthers managed to take the Cardinals to the edge, but lost 33-31, before finally in the third game 30-24.

In its second match of the day, Middlebury responded with a good effort against Muhlenberg College. The Panthers started off strong by winning the first game by 32-30, but then struggled in the second game, which they lost by 30-23. Middlebury then recovered to finish off the mules, 30-21 in the decisive third game, and 30-24 to take the match in four.

Hartsock (15 kills, 22 digs) played an astounding all-around game against Muhlenberg, while Brito and Hicks combined for 14 kills. The Panthers continued to play well defensively, as Laurie Wollin'05 had 16 digs, Patterson and Brito added 13, and Jamie Wong chipped in 10.

The following day, against an impressive Amherst College team, the physically and mentally drained Panthers fell in a disappointing outing, losing all three games, 30-14, 30-11, and 30-26.

The Panthers were able to achieve a final measure of redemption, however, as well as demonstrate their resilience and toughness in their last match of the day against Trinity College. In what may have been the most impressive and encouraging effort of the season, the Panthers got the jump on the Bantams early and never looked back, sweeping Trinity 30-18, 30-22 and 30-28. In doing so, Middlebury gained its first NESCAC win and evened its overall record at 5-5.

Defense continued to be the Panthers's power base in their Trinity triumph, as they combined for 82 digs in the game, to go along with five blocks and 14 block assists. Patterson and Wong continued their masterful defensive play with 17 digs apiece, while Luz Brito added 12, Laurie Wollin 11 and Hartsock 13.

"I feel like we're really coming together as a team," commented co-captain Boniello. "We have players who are adaptable and flexible, as well as a very deep bench. I feel like our offense is really running smoothly, and the Wesleyan game was a testament to our hard work as a team and the best we've played all season."

"We're happy with the outcome of our matches this weekend," added co-captain Hicks. "I felt we worked well as a team, and we're trying to have as much fun as we can on the court."

The Panthers will travel to Williams College on October 1 at 7 p.m., before hosting Skidmore on October 8.