Men's Soccer Gives Up First Goal of Year

Author: Dave Freedman

The Middlebury men's soccer team gave up its first goals of the season this weekend, but preserved its undefeated record with a 4-1 victory over Colby College and a 1-1 tie against Bowdoin College.

"I think that the team is playing extremely well right now" said traditional start Andrew Stewart '04, "but we were a little disappointed to only get a tie against Bowdoin. We created most of the chances and played very well overall though."

However, the National Soccer Coaches Association of America didn't penalize the team for the draw as they moved to the second spot in the New England regional rankings and leaped into the national poll at number 15, after previously being an honorable mention.

Colby applied offensive pressure for much of the first 10 minutes on Saturday against the Panthers, forcing a Middlebury defender to pull a White Mule forward down in the box to set up a penalty kick. The first goal against the team came 462 minutes into the season, and it would be only three minutes later until that goal was avenged.

Derek Cece '06 and captain Pat Saunders '04's defensive efforts on Colby midfielders put Middlebury in the position of having consecutive corner kicks. On the second opportunity Stewart placed a curving ball to the cutting Saunders who quickly headed home the tying goal.

"To give up the first goal and respond in the manner we did showed all of the necessary ingredients of a resilient and poised team," Head Coach David Saward said. "The team never panicked and simply went about their business."

With captain Jason Griffiths '04 anchoring the Panther defense at sweeper, Middlebury's backs were able to cause all kinds of problems for the Colby forwards. Nick Colacchio '05 draped Colby's best offensive threat after the penalty kick, denying him any good chances the rest of the way. Gabe Wood '06's defensive ability and athleticism completely neutralized and frustrated Colby's fastest player.

Then first-year John Sales '07 was put into the game, changing the pace of the match and reenergizing the Panther offense. With only five minutes remaining Colby's defense lazily knocked a ball out of their eighteen to put it nearly 30 yards out. Sales turned on the ball and sent an unbelievable shot right into the upper left corner of the net denying Colby's keeper of even attempting to make a save. "His shot was world-class," Saward said later. Sales would add his second goal of the game off a fantastic through ball from Griffiths leaving him one on one with the goalie. Sam Raymond '04 scored his third goal of the season when Stewart found him alone inside the eighteen to make the game 4-1 with 15 minutes left in the game.

The following day against Bowdoin Middlebury's offense would have a bit more trouble finding the back of the net in driving rain and a strong Polar Bear defense. Bowdoin took the lead 10 minutes into the second half after a fantastic initial save from keeper Craig Hirsch '05 that left a rebound opportunity. The Panthers tied the match with 15 minutes remaining in regulation when Stewart, garnering his seventh assist of the year, sent a crossing ball to the foot of John Rusten '05 who sent a low shot into the back of the net. The teams remained tied through two ten minute overtimes, putting Middlebury at 6-0-1 for the season.

"I felt that we neutralized their key players very effectively," Saward said, "with Colacchio and Wood performing very well. Griffiths was a tower of inspiration at the back, and Saunders and Sales covered every blade of grass to stop the Bowdoin mid-field from surging forward. In the end I felt that we may have done enough to win, but it wasn't to be."

Middlebury hit two posts and a crossbar on the day, but couldn't finish the game off in the end.

The Panthers go to Amherst College next weekend in a battle between the top two teams in the conference.