Is it Art? Spandex Art It's a Stretch

Author: Abbie Beane

Still pining for the lost days of '80s yore, when mullets were hot, cut-offs were cool and Spandex was the way to swing? (Although admittedly, some should never have swung that way.) Pine no more, old kids on the block.

CBS Events, one of San JosÈ's largest "theme prop companies," now has a new division dedicated to "Spandex art," claiming to be "spectacular decor" for any occasion. Described as "innovative structures, which provide art and function to create exciting, eye-catching decor for any room or event," Spandex art is made of tension-fabric, which, when installed, appears to defy gravity and is ready to service you in various shapes, sizes and colors.

"Theme events are our specialty," CBS Events claims. In fact, they do not just settle for managing a store, but own and operate entire warehouses full of Spandex props ready and raring to float. Themes range anywhere from an "African Safari" to a "Mexican Fiesta," somewhere between "Route 66" and "Rio de Janeiro" and then all the way back to "Monte Carlo and the Casino."

But to give you an even more transparent picture of what this kind of Spandex theme party would entail, let's choose the "Around the World" theme. Authentic, red "Tori Gates" will depict the Orient, decorated with fans, parasols and hanging lanterns. A rickshaw will be filled with poinsettias and a curved, oriental bridge, complete with statue and surrounded by flowers and trees.

In honor of Polynesia, a "Tiki Hut," decorated with nets, beautiful exotic birds and flowers will be surrounded by palm trees. A Tiki God will reign over the area with an island boat dock scene. There will be an anchor, nets, shells, crab trap and even a seagull. When you arrive in France, you'll find a French cafe measuring 10' by 8' with a front porch, two large vases with flowers, trees and a veranda eating table with wine and flowers.

From Germany, a Hof Brau scene will include huge German beer barrels, trellis, vines, Oktoberfest posters, flags and garland. In Rome, a replica of one of Venice's famous gondolas will be placed here, filled with flowers and flanked by two Italianite marble-like pillars topped with silver, white and gold glittered florals in black top hats.Depicting the glorious beaches of Mexico, a palapa will be decorated with sombreros, serapes, flowers, birds and mexican artifacts along with a lighted tropical umbrella with hanging plants and a red flower cart with flowers.

And the best news is that Allstar Event Services, a division of CBS Events, based out of Las Vegas, Nev., will plan a theme party for you. No crowd is too big or too small, as they have catered to numbers between two and 25,000. You can even request face-painting, clowns, celebrity look-a-likes and a host of other services to compliment your party.

I'm only grateful that I found out about these guys before I planned a traditional wedding.