Track Hopes to Take Indoor Success Outside and Run with It

Author: Erich Kahner

This spring, the Middlebury track and field team is all about momentum. The athletes hope to translate the record-breaking performances of the recent indoor season into outdoor success.
The men could field what co-captain Mike DeLeo '03.5 says has the potential to be "the best team in years."
"I couldn't be any more optimistic about the season," DeLeo continues. "Guys are healthy, strong and we'll be getting one of our best sprinters back from injury in Tony [Garofano '03]. Distance runners set records all over the place during indoors, and we're getting some solid first years in the field events."
Kevin Bright '06 displayed stunning versatility in the indoor season by breaking three school records (400 and 600 meter dashes and the long jump). Consequently, he will have an uncharacteristic amount of high expectations placed upon him for a first year.
Liam Aiello '05, Craig Pittman '04, DeLeo and Garofano provide the veteran leadership for the sprint squad. Joined with other first years, the sprinters, as they have done in the past, will again play a major role in the team's success.
Co-captain Mike Mazzotta '03 heads the resurgent distant squad. Supporting him will be indoor record holders Nick Digani '05 (1500 meter run) and Jon Erwin '05 (3000 meter run). Craig Parker '04 is the leverage for the young throwing unit.
Coaches are anxious to get a look at some first years that they did not get to see in indoors. Among this group are hurdler Matt Angoff, sprinter Dom Di-domenico, decathlete Tom Heitkamp and distance runner Nolan Sandygren.
A potent mixture of distance and middle distance runners will factor heavily into the women's success. Recently crowned indoor Eastern Coast Athletic Conference (ECAC) champion Maryanne Porter '04 (500 meter dash) and fellow New England Division III distance medley relay champions, Jess Manzer '05 and co-captains Adri Logalbo '03 and the prolific Michela Adrian '03 look to lead the outdoor team to even more sucess.
School record holders Jenny March '04 (hammer throw) and Renee Courschene '05 (discus) headline a youthful but strong throwing unit. The sprinters and leapers also have experience in Jess Kosciewicz '04, Sarah Berkowitz '05, Allie Williams '05 and Heather Tory '03.
First-years that did not compete in indoors and were placed in the "can't wait to get a look at" category by the coaches are: distance runner Kelsey Rinehart, hurdler Katharine Cooley and middle distance runner Kirsten Lundgren.
While in past years the team may have relied heavily on either the sprint squad, the throwers or the distance runners, this year the coaches expect equal contributions from all the areas of the sport. This is important if Middlebury plans on making a respectful showing at the NESCAC championships in late March.
"My goal as a team is always to make a strong showing and/or win NESCACs," explained Head Coach Martin Beatty. "We need to really crank it up as a team and score higher and in more events if we want to do well in this conference."
The team will take the first major steps towards its goals when it travels to San Diego during Spring Break for its annual West coast swing. While there, it will compete in two meets and train twice a day. Perhaps more important than the training is the cohesion the team develops in San Diego. According to DeLeo, this cohesion will come easily for this year's team. "Positive attitudes and fun permeate this team, making the daily grind of practices a blast."
The teams are coached by Beatty, and he is assisted by Distance Coach Nicole Wilkerson, Throwing Coach Luke Hotte and Jumping Coach Dave Kerin. Middlebury will host two track meets at the Dragone Track, the first of the two on April 5 and the other on April 19.