Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Crew Team to Drop Oar at Sunrise Amid Sweatshops

Author: Emily Berlanstein

There is something to be said for rowing in Vermont. As the morning fog diffuses across Lake Dunmore and the sun comes peeking out from behind the mountains, it is impossible to overlook the beauty of four or eight bodies moving in perfect sync against this exquisite backdrop. Mornings and afternoons on the water constitute a beloved escape for these rowers, who have little difficulty justifying a 4:30 a.m. wake-up call.
However, March in Vermont is devoid of sunrises, mornings and afternoons at Dunmore, and blaring alarm clocks. For the members of the Middlebury crew team, March is representative of only two things: the ergometer and Miami.
Every day since the start of February, the crew team congregates in the "Sweatshop" to perform the daily workout. Until Dunmore thaws, practice is highly individual and, due to limited space, often scheduled at random time intervals throughout the day. According to Head Coach Alex Machi, after the harsh winter, the team's primary goal is "to get on the water this spring."
Luckily, the team training trip to Miami is only a week away. The rowers launch from the Miami Rowing Club (MRC) on Key Biscayne and scrimmage Barry University, one of MRC's collegiate crews. Machi says that Miami is crucial in "developing the spirit of 'team.'"
He adds, "Miami allows us to spend lots of time together, not just training in boats for the first time since last October but discussing goals, talking about what we want to improve from last year, lending support and simply enjoying each other's company. We come back really caring about one another and knowing why we're willing to endure the hardships that come with being a part of this sport - so we can strive to win for each other."
Team unity is important for this particular squad, which is relatively small in comparison to its New England foes. Recruiting is often challenging for Machi, who cannot offer prospective rowers a fancy boathouse to call home.
Instead, he relies on the academic reputation of Middlebury, the splendor of Lake Dunmore and the team's closeness to draw high school rowers. First-year varsity rower Sasha Said comments, "I wanted to row at Middlebury so I could contribute right away. I saw the small group of devoted individuals as an advantage." Machi notes, "It really helps people dedicate themselves when they realize they are absolutely vital to the team's success...intensity is contagious."
This season, the ultimate goal for both the men's and women's team is to row well at New England Rowing Championships in May.
Machi believes, "the varsity squads' goals of medaling at New England's this year are very realistic projections. I would actually think that we could expect invitations to the ECAC Championships held on Cooper River outside of Camden, N.J. - and not just for our varsity boats."
The novice squads seem promising as well. While many of them learned to row in the fall and participated in their first race at the end of the season, Miami will be the first experience on the water for many newcomers. Undoubtedly, Head Novice Coach Sera Coppolino will have these budding athletes ready for the racing season, which begins on April 5.
Before New England Championships, the crew teams will compete every weekend in both dual and championship races. Dual competition includes Massachusetts Maritime Academy, Brandeis, UConn, Amherst, Bowdoin, Clark University and Franklin Pierce. The series of Championships begins on April 26 with New England Fours Championships, followed by New England Championships and ECAC Championships. The final races of the season include crews from all over the region, and, potentially, the entire east coast.
Despite the two-plus feet of ice covering Lake Dunmore, Middlebury rowers remain optimistic. They will head to Miami in prime shape from winter training and expect to apply their strength in the boat immediately while forming connections with teammates, a crucial factor for a winning crew.
If all goes as planned, they will return prepared to inaugurate the season by crushing Mass Maritime. But, Machi jokes, "the tans are important, too."