Panthers Serve Out Squash Season at Yale

Author: Holly Haertel

This past weekend the Middlebury women's squash team traveled to Yale University, along with 28 other collegiate teams, to compete in the 2003 national championships. The tournament was divided into four flights, with Trinity College, the defending national champion and fellow New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) member, seeded first, followed by Harvard and Yale. In the top flight, Trinity again emerged as the national champion, beating Yale 9-0 in the finals on Sunday.
The second flight featured Bowdoin, Amherst, Bates, Colby, Cornell, St. Lawrence, Vassar and Middlebury and play was spirited during the three-day event. After losing to top seed and eventual flight winner, Bowdoin on Friday, Middlebury faced Cornell but, unfortunately, could not overcome the depth and strength of the Cornell team.
On Sunday, Middlebury played Vassar with several very competitive and hard-fought matches. Sophomore Holly Haertel, playing in the number one position, faced very tough competition and despite several very spirited matches could not overcome her opponents. While senior co-Captain, Lisa Pilkington, playing in the number two spot, played her best squash of the season, she lost her match to Vassar in four very-close games. Pilkington's highly competitive match with Cornell on Saturday was a display of great college squash.
At the number three spot, Beth Seeley used a combination of speed, power and determination in a very close five-game match, before succumbing to her opponent. Senior co-Captain, Eliza Funston, who was honored by the Women's Collegiate Squash Association at the traditional all-team dinner on Saturday night as a scholar-athlete, ended her Middlebury squash career with an impressive 3-1 victory.
Lauren Smith also won her match taking control of center court early and never letting go at the number five spot. Senior Chrissie Fuld played hard at the number six spot, losing 3-1 in a match that was much closer than the scores indicate. At the seventh and eighth spots, first-years Caitlin Flint and Alexandra Polemis played well and gained valuable experience in their first varsity tournament. At the number nine spot, sophomore rookie Ashley Pullen showed great promise for the future with her speed and newly acquired racquet skills. Senior Liv Wilson played a great match at the number ten spot, but sadly lost 3-1. Unfortunately, senior Gigi Gatewood had to miss the tournament due to a season-ending foot injury.
While Middlebury's best efforts on the court were disappointing and the team ended the season ranked 16 overall, there were highlights throughout the season. Early wins against rivals Colby and St. Lawrence gives the team encouragement for next year.