Ski Slopes Flourish with Flurries

Author: Megan O'Keefe

Despite national concerns about the declining economy, ski enthusiasts are returning to the slopes in greater numbers this season. Abundant snow and prime skiing conditions have boosted sales of both season passes and daily lift tickets at ski resorts across Vermont.
Throughout the state, ski areas reported strong levels of business during the holiday season.
Steady snowfall and low temperatures resulted in record-breaking openings and Thanksgiving business at many ski areas. At Killington Resort, which boasts the longest ski season in the East, early snowstorms and extensive use of snowmaking equipment produced the best early season in the resort's history.
After the resort opened 75 trails by Nov. 6, said Steve Wright, Killington's marketing manager, "It's unheard of to have this much terrain open this early...We're off to an incredible start this season."
Weather-propelled sales are benefiting not only large, destination ski resorts but also smaller ski areas. Season pass sales at the Middlebury Snow Bowl are the highest they have been in several years, a significant improve over the 2001-2002 season sales. The Snow Bowl hosts primarily season pass holders.
According to Peter Mackey, general manager of the Snow Bowl, season pass sales "strike a good balance" between sales to Middlebury College students, faculty, staff and the general public.
Thus far this year, 800 season passes have been purchased by students, as opposed to 500 passes sold to students by this point last year.
Five hundred passes have been purchased by College faculty and staff and more than 300 have been sold to the general public.
This represents an increase of 10 to 20 percent over last year's sales.
Mackey credits an abundance of snow both at the Snow Bowl and in "down country areas" of Massachusetts and Vermont with improved sales at the Bowl.
Frequently when snow cover is plentiful at the mountain, but not in lower areas, skiers tend to believe that conditions will be unsatisfactory at the Snow Bowl.
An abundance of snow in the town of Middlebury has allayed residents' concerns about the depressed national economy and pushed sales up at the Snow Bowl. The only signs of economic depression were decreased preseason pass sales and fewer weekend and holiday lift ticket purchases. Mackie believes, however, that fewer preseason sales were due in large part to poor skiing conditions at the end of last season.
Despite an increase in season pass sales, Peter Mackie assures skiers that the slopes and chairlifts at the SnowBowl will remain uncrowded. While locating a parking space may be difficult and the Lodge may be packed, lines for the chairlift will be short and the slopes will be as clear as they have always been.
The only signs of economic depression were decreased preseason pass sales and fewer weekend and holiday lift ticket purchases. Mackie believes, however, that fewer preseason sales were due in large part to poor skiing conditions at the end of last season.
Despite an increase in season pass sales, Peter Mackie assures skiers that the slopes and chairlifts at the SnowBowl will remain uncrowded.
While locating a parking space may be difficult and the Lodge may be packed, lines for the chairlift will be short and the slopes will be as clear as they have always been.
Winter Term proves an especially busy time for the Snow Bowl as students take advantage of more leisure time to hit the slopes.
To cope with the added demand Middlebury College sponsors a frequent shuttle service that departs from Adirondack Circle and goes directly to the Bowl.
All trails and lifts are currently open to serve both students and members of the local community alike.
For the latest ski conditions, consult the snow bowl Web site at www.middlebury.edu/~snowbowl.
Ski areas hope the weather patterns continue to encourage the turn out they have seen so far this season.