Swimmers Splash by Springfield

Author: David Freedman

Coming into the last two events against Springfield College on Saturday, Nov. 23, Middlebury's men's and women's swimming and diving teams were on the brink of a season-opening loss. The team came through, however, with outstanding individual efforts in the 400-yard individual medley and gutsy performances in the 200-yard freestyle relay to edge out the competition. The men won by a score of 147-141, while the women turned in a victory of a 154-146.
Both teams were trailing until the 400 individual medly (IM), in which Kate Miller '05, Kellianne Egan '04 and Emily Egan '06 finished first, second and third respectively, and Alex Demas '06, Jamie Lamere '06 and Craig Ross '06 finished second, third and fourth. This events' results pulled both teams close enough to Springfield to have the meets decided by the last relay.
Alyson Lipsky '03, Jen Watters '03, Teague Douglas '06 and DeWitt finished nearly two seconds ahead of Springfield to secure the women's first meet this season. On the men's side, David Hawkins '05, Scott Atkinson '06, Jason Korsmeyer '05 and Matt Clark '04 swam well enough to put the meet away with a two-tenths of a second victory. Coach Peter Solomon said that the teams' "never-give-up attitudes made all the difference in winning this meet."
Hawkins, Atkinson and Korsmeyer, along with Demas also started the Panthers off on the right note by winning the 200-yard medley relay, as well as contributing to the deciding event on the day.
Throughout the afternoon, the Panthers' victories were also full of individual comebacks. First years Electra Smith '06 and Demas came from behind in the 100- and 200-yard breast stroke to take first place in both events. Egan dropped 13 seconds on her 1000-yard freestyle from the previous week to land a come-from-behind victory. Leigh Bayer '05 contributed to the comeback spirit with a huge effort in the 200-yard butterfly for an individual win.
The men's and women's diving teams also got a taste of what Solomon describes as some of the "best Division III divers in the country," and came away with strong results.
In their first real outings on the year, the women finished second and fourth in the one-meter with Courtney Campbell '04 and Laura Shaw '05; Shaw also finished third in the three-meter.
All in all both teams finished with a bang to fend off a fast Springfield team.
Hopefully this victory will give the teams enough momentum to train through the Thanksgiving break, and gear up for Middlebury's Dec. 7 match-up with Amherst College.
This meet will mark the first New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) challenge for the Panthers and it should give them a glimpse of what the rest of the season has in store for them.