Women's Basketball Looks to One-Up NESCAC Foes

Author: Emily Berlanstein

Last year, an 11-point spread was all that separated the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) runner-up Middlebury Panthers from the nearly undefeated champions, the Bowdoin Polar Bears. This season, the Panthers are on the prowl for a league championship.
"We have the highest expectations of ourselves, which means making it to the finals again this year," commented Elyse Carlson '05.
The Panthers graduated two players, Meghan McCosker '02 and Lauren Amen '02. Five promising first-year guards will look to replace McCosker, a two-time NESCAC Defensive Player of the Year and second-team All-Conference selection.
However, the Panthers return eight players from last year's roster, including Northeast Regional All-American Kristin Hanley '03. A member of the All-NESCAC first team, Hanley averaged 14.9 points, 6.6 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game. She also led the league in three-point field goal percentage at 42.1 percent. The team's leading scorer in 13 of 22 games, Hanley is an offensive threat with the unique ability to create opportunities for herself from both the inside and outside.
Also returning for the Panthers are Katie Shutte '03 and Wesley Hyatt '03, both of whom, along with Hanley, were named captains for the 2002-2003 season. Shutte will run the team from the point guard position, while Hyatt, who averaged eight points and five rebounds last season, will dominate in post play.
Look for Alexis Batten '04, Alexis Hollinger '05 and Carlson to contribute significantly. Batten, a starter last season, brings strength, consistency and versatility to the post, while Hollinger, last season's NESCAC Rookie of the Year, is expected to capitalize on her reputation as one of the league's top forwards. Carlson, a sharpshooter, will start at guard. Rounding out the roster are Karen Lee '05 and Kate Shillo '04, both of whom should see significant action.
The Panthers' up-tempo style and "in-your-face" defense will keep opponents on their feet. On defense, constant pressure, which includes a full-court press, is the name of the game.
"Our goal is to frazzle the other team and capitalize on their mistakes in transition play," explains Carlson. Offensively, the Panthers are a force to be reckoned with. They will look to feed the posts, but Hanley and Carlson make them a threat from the outside as well. Coach Noreen Pecsok simply demands that the girls play their best.
"Whether we win or lose, on any given day our ultimate goal is to be the best team we can be," said Carlson.
The Panthers will inaugurate their season this weekend in a tip-off tournament at Wellesley College. They will face Augustana College on Saturday and either Wellesley or Immaculata on Sunday. The first home game is Tuesday, Nov. 26 against St. Joseph's.