Second-half Surge Lifts Football

Author: Neil Onsdorff

Last weekend the Middlebury College Panthers made the trek to face off against Hamilton College in what has been called the "Rocking Chair Classic." Still feeling the pain of last week's demoralizing loss, the Panthers came out strong and absolutely punished the Continentals 41-21 for their seventh straight victory in this rivalry. This was Middlebury's best game from an offensive standpoint all season, as itsbig-time weapons put up some huge numbers to ensure an easy Panther victory.
As opposed to other contests this year, the start of this game was highlighted by some huge defensive rather than offensive plays. On Hamilton's first play from scrimmage, Middlebury defender Pat Allen '03 was able to intercept a ball as if it were intended for him. On the Panthers resulting drive, they were unable to cover any ground, but were not kept out of the endzone for long. Defensive back Ernie Miller's '03 fumble recovery, which marked Hamilton's second turnover in as many plays, led to a one-play drive in which quarterback Michael Keenan '05 hit wide-out Denver Smith '03 in the end zone for a Panther 7-0 lead.
The remainder of the half saw little action, as both coaches played the field position card during a wet and intermittently snowy afternoon. But, with 1:35 left in the second quarter, the Middlebury offensive two-minute drill looked to break a 7-7 tie. The Panthers executed this to perfection as running back William Lazzaro '03 and wide-out Tom Cleaver '04 brought the offense close enough for Keenan to knife a pass to double-covered Smith, who leapt into the air for a fantastic touchdown and a seven-point Middlebury cushion going into halftime.
Playing with confidence and a sense of pure adrenaline on every play, the Panthers exploded in a fire of offensive fury in the second half and scored three touchdowns in four minutes. Running-back Lazzaro took the ball 64-yards in two plays, for the first of the offensive onslaught. After another Middlebury-forced turnover, Keenan lofted a perfect 25-yard pass to an outstretched wide-out Cleaver for another easy score.
Like a broken record, the Panthers once again forced a defensive turnover, one of seven on the afternoon. Free safety Craig Schuette '03 got involved in the action by picking off a pass across the middle and then returned it deep inside Hamilton territory. One play later Lazzaro found himself in the end zone after an untouched 13-yard run.
"This is just a testament to how well our offense, and especially our offensive line, played during the game, in that we were able to recover from our slow start," said offensive lineman Ross Carbone '05. "And then we came out and capitalized on some great scoring opportunities."
Middlebury finished its scoring bonanza for the day on a more conservative 80-yard drive. The drive was highlighted by fullback Christopher Davis's '03 pass reception in which he went "rumbling, stumbling, bumbling" down the field for 49 big yards, leaving helpless Hamilton defenders just ruined in his wake. The drive finished with Dom DiDomenico '06 hitting the end zone for the first time in his Middlebury career with a 13-yard run, giving the Panthers 41 points for the day, their biggest point output of the season.
After the victory, Coach Bob Ritter, on his third win of the season said, "It was an exciting day for our squad, as every Panther player saw action on Saturday, many stepping on the field for the first time in their young careers. It was a great feeling to see the team play at such a high level and take a close game at halftime and turn it into a blowout by midway through the third quarter. Forcing seven turnovers and capitalizing on the opposition's mistakes proved to be the key to victory."
This Saturday, the Panthers will play their final home game of the season against a solid Tufts University squad. For many seniors, it will be their last game. "We will have 15 seniors playing in their last football game of their careers on Saturday," said Ritter, "and it will surely be an emotionally- charged finale to the 2002 campaign."
While in retrospect the 3-4 season may seem a dissapointment on paper, the seniors are well-aware that such a presumption would be inaccurate. To be sure they set straight any doubters, the squad will treat Saturday's game as if it were its first — full of promise and anticipation. And just like the first game, the seniors will lead the way.