Thursday, May 2, 2024

Rhythms of the World, Presented by Wonnacott

Author: Leah Koenig

Saturday night provided a lively musical treat for the large crowd gathered around the McCullough stage. An impressive line up of Middlebury's talented students performed music and dance in the Global Rhythms show, organized by Wonnacott Commons.
The entertainment, lasting a full two hours, included musical styles of bluegrass, blues, classical/pop piano, Brazilian guitar with vocals and drumming, African singing and freestyle rap. The dancing was equally diverse with groups and individuals performing hip-hop stepping, Irish dancing, traditional Indian dance and a cheerleading routine. The audience enjoyed desserts and coffees while sitting in candlelight at cabaret-style tables.
Adam Fasoli '04 and Katie Wright '04, both Wonnacott junior counselors in Battell, were masters of ceremony for the event. They were joined by Cynthia Atherton, faculty head of Wonnacott Commons, and Wonnacott Commons Dean Matt Longman, who both spent several months organizing the event. Fasoli proudly pointed out that Longman, who manned the event's deejay booth, is "DJ Dean, the only commons dean who spins."
Adding extra spice to the night's activities were Andre Estanislao '05, co-chair of Wonnacott, and Todd Falcone '03.5, who handed out door prizes throughout the show. Although only a few lucky audience members received the Ben & Jerry's gift certificates, books and Wonnacott water bottles filled with candy, Estanislao and Falcone's "fabulous" interludes left the whole audience in stitches.
Saturday night's show was a success because it delivered the global and artistic diversity it promised. Several members of the Route 7 Ramblers, Bennett Konesni '04.5, Abe Streep '04 and Ben Campbell '03.5, opened with lively bluegrass tunes. The next performer, Sumaya Huque '06, captivated the audience with her expressive traditional Indian dancing.
Chris Lizotte '06, Jon Larson '06 and Josh Bookin '06 combined their guitar, bass and saxophone skills to play several blues medleys. One song, which integrated Bob Marley's "Stir It Up," demonstrated the amount of musical diversity possible within a single genre.
In an interesting contrast, Maurice Opara '04 followed by playing the piano accompaniment to a song written by a Welsh composer. Opara mentioned that he does not read music notation, but learns piano by ear.
The show continued with Middlebury's Coed Cheerleading team. Members Frederick Sanford '04, Gillian Wood '03, Tris Arscott '06, Trinity Gaddy '06, Naomi Andrews '03 and Katie Perekslis '06 performed an acrobatic routine to Destiny's Child's "Survivor." Following the cheerleaders, Megan Hickey '06 danced three Irish dances, each of which increased in speed and intricacy.
Continuing in the tradition of dance, Tina Velez '05, Dominique Thompson '03, Lauren Thompson '06, Jennifer Whelan '06, Kristana Erikson '06, Leah Okullo '04, Alexandra Bottemanne '03 and Wood took the stage. Stepping in a piece choreographed by Athenia Fischer '04, the Women of Color stepping group impressed the audience with their rhythmic accuracy and style.
Marco Sotelino '04 and Will Cleveland '04 played a set of Brazilian guitar music. Two special guests joined them: Marco's father Fernando Sotelino on drums and Kim Humphrey '04 on vocals.
Damian "Dash" Washington followed with an original trio of hip-hop songs. His performance combined musical talent, impressive lyrics and comedy as he danced across the stage while he rapped.
The evening ended with the rhythmic singing of Mchaka Mchaka, lead by Elana Rosen-Brown '04. Mchaka performed several songs, both old and new, showcasing the musical diversity of the group.
Global Rhythms truly represented musical cultures from across the globe. Although each act was entirely unique, the performers share at least one thing in common: being a Middlebury student. Their performances, however, indicated just how talented and diverse that commonality is.