Monday, May 6, 2024

Women's tennis Slips Past Wesleyan

Author: Emily Berlanstein

Last weekend, the women's tennis team had its first taste of adversity on the heels of yet another sweet victory. After defeating both Skidmore and Union 8-1, the Panthers were prepared for battle with New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) rivals Wesleyan and Tufts. In the spring of 2001, Middlebury faced these teams twice, winning one match against each school. With last season in mind, the Panthers knew this road trip was a true test of ability as well as their mental toughness.
Against Wesleyan, the Panthers showed remarkable grit and determination. Jeannie McIntosh '05 (6-1, 6-2) and Lindsay Freeman '05 (6-2, 6-1) were victorious in the number five and six singles positions, respectively. Middlebury was also very successful in doubles, winning two out of three matches. The pair of Ariella Neville '03 and Kristin Baker '04 won 8-5, and McIntosh and Freeman posted an 8-4 victory. Kristin Baker's three set singles match (4-6, 6-2, 6-2) was the deciding factor in Middlebury's 5-4 win. Freeman commented, "Wesleyan was the first really strong team we've faced this season. The competition was tight, and it came down to Baker's three-set match, but this win was really a complete team effort. We set out to beat [Wesleyan], and we stayed focused throughout the entire match."
The following day, the Panthers traveled to Boston to take on the undefeated Jumbos of Tufts University. Tufts won every match; making them 24-0 in singles play with a 9-0 overall record, having already defeated Colby College, Bates College and Smith College this season. Freeman reflected, "Tufts is one of the best teams in the NESCAC. We put up a really good fight, and the matches were much closer than the score reveals." The Panthers may not have been pleased with this outing, but they exhibited class and good sportsmanship, which is more than can be said for the Jumbos Coming off of the weekend, the Panthers are aware of the challenges that await them. The NESCAC is arguably the top Division III women's tennis conference in the nation, featuring seven out of the top twenty-five teams. The Panthers are currently ranked 22nd nationally, a standing on which they hope to improve by learning from their mistakes and altering practice strategy.
Since the loss to Tufts, the squad has devoted more energy to conditioning and off-court training. Morale remains high, as the Panthers are proud of the intensity they maintained throughout the weekend and excited for their upcoming matches.
On Wednesday, the Panthers will have the opportunity to prove themselves as a dominant force in New England tennis when they travel to Williamstown, Mass., and take on the two-time defending national champion Williams College Ephs.