Thursday, May 2, 2024

Despite Student Pessimism, Commons Train Steams On

Author: Deborah Jones

"Get on board, the train has left the station!" Dean of Advising and Assistant Professor of American Literature Karl Lindholm doesn't beat around the bush when it comes to discussing one of the school's most controversial initiatives. "The College is committed to the commons."
Lindholm's words seal what many students fear is true: that the continuing decentralization of their school is a fact. In a survey conducted by The Campus last month (see pages 16 and 17), the vast majority of current Middlebury students expressed concern regarding the path that the College is taking.
The poll found that a quarter of the 280 survey participants "never" feel a sense of community within their commons, 33 percent only know their commons administrators via e-mail and/or wouldn't recognize them in person and that just 26 percent say they "regularly" attend commons events. When asked to provide comments, the vast majority expressed distaste for the idea of decentralization.
An avalanche of students stated that they felt that the commons system and the various buildings being built to accommodate it were unnecessary at such a small school. Several more expressed distaste for the obstacles inherent in commons-structured room draw, and numerous respondents wondered whether encouraging commons communities would hinder the cohesiveness of the greater College community. A number of students — and not only first-years — expressed confusion over what the role of the commons is on campus now and what it will be in the future.
Lindholm attempted to assuage concerns, saying that the commons system is "a way of organizing residential life that allows us to meet goals that…will really benefit students." However, he acknowledged that convincing them that this initiative truly is taking the College in a positive direction is not anything that will happen overnight. With the opening of Ross and LaForce halls, the presence of the commons has gone from abstract to physical, and, as Lindholm asserted, is here to stay. Yet many students are not aware of the history of or ideals behind the College's master plan.
In 1989, campus fraternities were dissolved on the recommendation of the Task Force on Student Social Life. The College, noting the exclusivity of the Greek system, decided to pursue the development of dormitory clusters that would advocate inclusivity and, through decentralized support services and faculty ties, bridge the social and academic aspects of student life. This vision spurred the creation of the five commons and decentralization of student support in 1991 as well as further articulation of the goals by task forces between 1992 and 1997. In May of 1997, the "Retrospective Review of the Middlebury College Commons System (1992-1997)" was completed. It noted that the potential benefits of the commons would not be realized unless the College took greater steps to institutionalize the system. Several paths of action were suggested, including one that called for full decentralization. It was this plan that President John McCardell presented to the Board of Trustees in the fall of 1997. The Board subsequently laid out the foundation of the initiative with a call for 1) decentralized dining, 2) proximate housing for a faculty associate and 3) continuing membership for students.
At the end of that school year, the Residential Life Committee, a division of Community Council comprised of students, faculty and administration, completed the Enhanced Residential Plan. This document outlined the initiatives currently most familiar to the student body, such as the creation of dormitory clusters including commons-specific dining halls, mascots and colors, government boards and first-year seminars. It also recommended that students be required to live in their assigned commons for their first two years at Middlebury with the exception of those choosing to live in an academic interest or social house. The College does not intend to implement this aspect of the design until there is 'equal' housing available for all commons. It also has asserted that it will never require students to eat in a particular dining hall, nor does it intend to raise on-campus student population much beyond where it rests now (about 2,300). Lindholm described the final version of the commons system as being "present" but "not oppressive."
The adoption of the Enhanced Residential Plan quickly led to the creation of the College's Master Plan to build new facilities to accommodate the expanded commons system. Ross Commons' opening this fall marks the end of the first phase in the development, and Atwater Commons construction is slated for completion in time for the 2004-2005 academic year. Executive Vice President of Facilities Planning Dave Ginevan noted that the completion of Cook and Wonnacott commons will be dependent upon the availability of building funds. It is anticipated that Brainerd Commons would encompass most of the south side of campus and retain Proctor as its dining hall.
With the physical completion of the commons scheme nowhere in sight, it is little wonder that many current students question the effectiveness and necessity of the initiative. Many complain about the construction outside their windows, further noting that even if the arrangement does prove to be beneficial in the future, they will not have the opportunity to experience it.
Lindholm, who along with his wife Brett Millier, Reginald L. Cook Professor of American Literature, served as faculty head of Atwater Commons as well as interim faculty head of Ross and Brainerd commons, suggested that the benefits of the commons are already quite visible.
"The commons system has provided through student leadership … richness in social and cultural lives. Its inclusivity and diversity … has allowed more different types of students to come to Middlebury and be happy," he explained.
Lindholm also stressed the positive effects of having accessible support services and more "intimate" residential systems. It has also be noted that the well-funded commons councils have become more active and developed in recent years and provided increased opportunities for students to plan activities and development leadership skills. Current Student Government Association President Ginny Hunt '03 and Student Co-chair of Community Council Ben LaBolt '03 both previously served as commons co-chairs.
Lindholm also responded to students' concerns about maintaining the cohesiveness of the campus, saying, "I think we're all familiar with communities within communities. The commons and Middlebury communities are not mutually exclusive."
Ginevan, quoting McCardell, said that the commons system will allow Middlebury to be more like itself, meaning that the microcosms will provide a sense of what the College was like in its smaller, earlier years. "The people who critique doing this at such a small school don't see how much the College has grown."
"I know in all the debates we went through there were some very strong opinions about whether or not [the commons] were good or bad and there were valid ideas both ways," Ginevan continued. "I think, though, in the end, we're not losing anything, we're gaining something. There's always been recognition that the commons was a large undertaking. That's always been something we've been willing to deal with in a fluid way. Significant changes for the College and they will take time but endure and influence the College for a long time."