The Weekly Club Team Beat

Author: Andrew Zimmermann

Rugby

In dominating fashion, the Middlebury rugby club opened its 2002-2003 campaign with a 57-0 rout of in state competitor Johnson State University. This, mind you, was in the absence of team stars Jodi Kramer '03 and Epeli Rokotuiveikau '04, who aim to return in two weeks against the University of Vermont. The total team effort involved four players with two tries apiece and Raiden Tsuboi '04 going 6-9 on-kick conversions. "This was a good team effort and a good opening game for us," Tsuboi said. Middlebury was also solid on defense holding off Johnson State for nearly 10 minutes when insides its own 22 yard line. The push to qualify for regionals and nationals continues this weekend with a game against Keene State University. The expectations will be high after the ruggers made their first trip to the nationals in Arkansas last spring.

Water Polo

The men's water polo team traveled north of the border this weekend to show its Canadian competitors that it is a legit water polo contender. In a successful weekend, Middlebury won against York, Ottawa and Carlton universities, all of which are much larger schools than Middlebury. "It was a good opportunity for the team to get some experience," said Dan Whitmore '03.5 whose squad doesn't open up NESCAC play until next weekend in Amherst. Charlie Evans '04 was solid in goal throughout the weekend. Even without Shon Hedges '04, others like Rob Hillas '06, transfer Matt Motley and Whitmore stepped in to pick up play and ensure a good showing. In a couple games against talented club teams, the polo players faltered a bit. However the competition was comprised of seasoned veterans and some former national team players who still remain competitive. The regular season begins this weekend in Canada.

Ultimate Frisbee

At Dartmouth this weekend, the Middlebury Pranksters went 2-2 at the Western New England club sectionals. In the two wins against Dartmouth and UVM, Zach Macomber '03 provided a big lift. After a year estranged from his team in Russia, Ben Dow '03 said of Macomber, "He was vital to the success of the zone offense, repeatedly breaking into the first line of defense." Dow in his return to Prankster disc was encouraged by the bright new talent on the team. "The younger players gained a lot by playing against some strong, seasoned players," In its two losses to UMass teams, Middlebury had a chance to test itself against the best in on the national and regional scene. Next up for Frisbee is the Homebrew Tournament promising stiff competion from all the participants. The annual Clambake Tournament will follow in the beginning of October held in coastal Maine.

Crew

The men's and women's crew teams have yet to formally start their season, but have been hard at work in preparation. Harmony Button '03 and Sarah Bunnel '04 head the women's team while Mike Reis '03 champions the men's cause. After training rigorously on Lake Dunmore, the teams will test their medal against a strong field in a race in Ottawa this weekend. The race is not NCAA-sanctioned, but will serve as a good warm up for the team. Button notes that, "this year's team is experienced, with strong senior leadership and lots of depth." To complement the work of the upper classmen, the novice boat, comprised mostly of first-years, is training with the team in preparation for the end of the year race. The most important race for the crew team comes in Boston at the Head of the Charles Regatta later in the season. The team will be sending two of its best boats to compete in the event.