Friday, May 3, 2024

Revamped Women's Soccer Team in Attack Mode

Author: Kate Nerenberg

Relying on a veteran and experienced attack, the Middlebury women's soccer team is looking to slip into the top ranks of the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC). The Panthers graduated six players from the 2001 team, many of whom anchored the midfield and defense, including goalkeeper Ali Connolly. However, the team plans on seeing improvement with each day while maintaining a "one-day-at-a-time" philosophy.
"Poise in the back is something gained under pressure, so look for us to strengthen each game," commented Head Coach Diane Boettcher on the state of her defense. She is confident in many of last year's nonstarters: "This is the year for all those 'depth' players of the past to step into the limelight and shine…we rely on veterans right now." Leading the way are seniors Anna Gayman, Meg Bonney, Britt Kittelsen, Leah Cumsky-Whitlock and Erica Martling.
First-year Caitlin Fabian has provided a necessary spark in the defense according to Boettcher. Despite the team's dependence on veterans, Fabian's size, speed and skill with the ball has allowed her to enter into a lineup that is comprised of primarily seniors. Boettcher also sees promise in Amanda Green '04, Stacy Brendtro '05 and Els VanWoert '05.
"Green and Brendtro provide not only serving, but their own goal scoring abilities. And a new goalkeeper has emerged to replace Vermont's NCAA Woman of the Year Ali Connolly, Els VanWoert."
The attack is only looking to build on last season, returning many of its key players. The Panthers will be looking for similar performances from Bonney and Cumsky-Whitlock, the two leading goal-scorers from last season. Joining them is Mayo Fuji '05, who saw action in 15 of 16 games in 2001. Kittlesen and Cumsky-Whitlock will be looked upon once again to dish the ball, as they did last season in leading the team in assists. With a steadily improving defense and a veteran-laden offense, the Panthers should cause a stir in the NESCAC.
Middlebury kicks off the season on Saturday, Sept. 14 at home against Trinity College. The Bantams face the Panthers for a third time in a row. In their last two games of 2001, the Bantams battled Middlebury, losing 2-1 both times. The second of the two games was the first round of the NESCAC playoffs. The Bantams will likely be out to stop Bonney, who scored both goals in the second game and had two assists in the first.
Regardless of the outcome of Saturday's game, Boettcher will be looking to improve on the team's performance when it takes the field again on Wednesday against Norwich. "The goal of making each game an improvement on the last combines with a strong schedule of opponents to provide the Panthers with an avenue to postseason play. Playing together as long as possible is the team goal," she said. The Panthers should have a successful season with the leadership of their five seniors and new opportunities ahead.