IM Football Fields Balanced League

Author: Andrew Zimmermann

On the sun-baked tundra of the Middlebury intramural (IM) fields, the IM football season official started Monday with a full slate of entertaining games. Commissioners Eric "Gilby" Gilbertson '03, broken arm and all, and Pat Rose '03 have been hard at work organizing games for the 16 teams over a Monday, Wednesday and Friday schedule.
The overriding theme this year is balance, as Gilbertson and Rose have noticed a wide array of strong contending teams.
One of those teams is Surf Side Six headed by John West '04 and a strong Midd Lax contingent. Surf Side made the South Vergennes All-Stars feel like the Jets after a week two drubbing to the Patsies. After putting up 60 points in game one, Surf Side will be wearing a large red target on its back. The team is continuing in much the same mold as team Sticky Bandits, another contender this year. Look for a key match up between the two this week
Week one also saw Batty Center beat up on Batty North 58-32. The two first-year teams played well and gave Gilby Gilbertson a glimpse of the first year potential. "It's great to see involvement among first year halls and coed teams," said Gilbertson. "I encourage participation by girls as well as guys and hope our Stew Crew team will make a strong showing in week two."
Rose, who was involved in a "melee" with co-commish Gilbertson in preseason, led his team, temporarily entitled "Stats," to a 36-24 victory over Lindy Bites. "Rose is off to an extremely strong start," commented Gilbertson as he momentarily tightened the wrap on his broken arm.
The off-campus team named Spearmint Rhinos of which former NFL Europe stars Gilbertson, Doug Gascon '03, Tom Bambrick '03 and Andrew Gustafson '03 are a part, got off to a tough start with a 36-12 loss to the Sticky Bandits. Bambrick was said to be tearing it up on the field, largely motivated by the relegation of Fiorentina football from Seria A this past summer. Gustafson was sharp, inspiring an on looking cheerleader to say, "The Rhinos might have lost this week, but 'Gus' is still my hero." Gascon said of the loss, "We were a little banged up, but we'll be back!"
In the final game of week one, LaForce and Mod home ruffians comprising team Bus were taken for a ride by team Lotion. Despite Raiden Tsuboi '04 breaking many defenders' ankles, the Lotion simply smothered the Bus in a 26-12 win. Team member and adopted mascot Chops Topalian '03 said of the loss, "I thought I had learned all there was to know about lotion in spring semester last year. Apparently I was wrong." The Bus looks for some revenge this week as it will be aided by some new "surprise" players.
It is evident that the first week of grueling, 40 minute IM football games produced some exciting and well-fought action. Play resumes this afternoon with some key matchups taking place that will weed out the pretenders from the players. Look for an update in next week's Campus.