Field Hockey Completes Flawless Week

Author: Andrew Zimmermann

In a successful weekend for Middlebury sports teams, the field hockey squad went 2-0 with tight, hard-fought wins against Springfield College and Wesleyan. With the results, Middlebury is tied atop the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) standings at 2-0. Overall Middlebury is 3-1 as it enters the third week of the young season.
Last Wednesday, Springfield College and its number 12 national ranking came to Middlebury. The two teams engaged in an epic battle, which ended in a 3-2 overtime victory for the Panthers. Missy Krempa '04 was the overtime hero 3:04 into the extra period, deflecting a shot from Char Glessner '03.5.
Glessner helped assist on the first goal which was hammered home by teammate Sydney Atkins '05. The 2001 NESCAC Player of the Year then added a goal before the 30 minute mark in the game to give Middlebury a 2-0 lead. Springfield however came back with two goals of its own and strong defense to force the overtime period. That was Krempa's time to shine as she notched the game winner and her teammate and keeper Jo Opot '05 finished with a solid eight saves.
Over the weekend, Middlebury looked to feed off the success earlier in the week in a game against Wesleyan. Early on the Panthers trailed 1-0. It was three unanswered goals, two of which were by first-year standout Ashley Lyddane which lifted Middlebury to the NESCAC win. Continuing the theme of first-year success, Alison Smith accounted for the other goal with 7:57 left in the opening half. Opot had five saves in net.
So far this season the players have adjusted well to playing positions which are somewhat new to them. The play between veterans like Glessner, Captains Keely Murphy '04 and Kate Perine '03 and first-years like Lyddane and Smith has been seemless and without flaw.
Upcoming for the Panthers is the long trip to Maine to face both Colby College and Bowdoin College, two foes not to be taken lightly in the competitive NESCAC.