STAFF EDITORIAL

Re-drafting the Policy

Calling attention to the College's sexual assault policy has proved one of the year's provocative and contentious issues. A widespread poster campaign earlier in the semester prompted debate on the policy, and, in response, a study group has been created by the Dean of Student Affairs to revise the College's current sexual assault policy. This is a pressing and important issue that must be at the forefront of the College's administrative agenda for the upcoming months, and the student body must take action to ensure that steps are taken to address the inadequacies of the policy.

In a year when discussion about sexual abuse and assault has been very prevalent, last week's Take Back the Night Week did not display the amount of activity and enthusiasm for the cause that it should have. It is almost ironic that in a year that has seen much publicity to raise awareness about sexual assault there were not more public demonstrations in support of preventing sexual assault and aiding the victims of such attacks.

The formation of a work group to address the College's sexual assault policy is a point of departure for further discussion about how Middlebury should deal with the sensitive topic of sexual assault on our campus. It is crucial to remember that the current policy was drafted only four years ago, and before that any mention of sexual assault came under the topic of Disrespect for Persons in the College Handbook. Obviously acknowledgement of the necessity for a sexual assault policy is the first step, but additional steps must be taken to guarantee the protection of victims and to make them feel comfortable reporting cases of assault and rape.

Allowing for the anonymity of persons reporting a rape on campus is essential, as victims may fear that reporting a rape will lead to unwanted publicity of the case and thus not seek help. Currently, those who go to the Department of Public Safety must file a report. Seeking aid from the Parton Health Center or the Counseling and Human Relations Center does not require a formal report, but those offices do inform the student's dean about the attack. Complete anonymity must be allowed so that victims feel completely comfortable when going to a College official for attention.

There are additional steps that the Health Center in particular must take to provide the best care possible for assault and rape victims. There should be a nurse present at all times who is qualified to collect evidence to verify that a rape or assault has occurred. In addition to providing medical attention, the nurse should also be qualified to give emotional counseling as well, to ensure that the victim can get all the attention needed without being taken to Porter Hospital. The Health Center is already well equipped to deal with issues of pregnancy and protection against sexually transmitted diseases, but it should also be a resource for victims of sexual assault and rape, providing a safe outlet on campus.

Information for students on where to go to report sexual assault is already present in the lengthy list of phone numbers and offices to call if one needs help. But this collection of information should be streamlined and condensed to give the most pertinent contacts so that victims are not confused about where to go for help.

At present, students have the option of seeking off campus attention from WomenSafe, but this organization has no ties to the College, making it difficult for Middlebury to accurately track the occurrence of sexual assault on campus.

Establishing direct contacts between the College and WomenSafe, for the purpose of better statistical tracking of assaults on campus, would be an added benefit to raise awareness about the issue.