Saturday, May 4, 2024

Magazine Proves Itself Good as Gold

Author: Deborah Jones

The staff of Middlebury Magazine learned last week that it had been awarded the Gold Medal for Best College Magazine of the Year. The publication had won the second place prize for several of the past seven years, but this was the first time it came out on top.

The Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) oversees the competition to which approximately 75 magazines from colleges around the country submit their work annually. Judges rate the periodicals on their content, choice of stories, editing, writing style, photography and design in addition to other factors.

Rachel Morton, former editor-in-chief of Middlebury Magazine, explained that the lengthy letters and class notes sections, both indicative of readers' ongoing interest and involvement in the publication, also likely boosted ratings.

The decision for the award was based on the evaluation of its spring 2001 and winter 2002 editions.

Jacquie Phelan '77, a champion mountain biker ending her career, facing breast cancer and generally starting over in life was the subject of the cover story for the first issue. Morton felt that the strength of the article, which is now a finalist in the Best Article of the Year category, lay in the unconventional character of Phelan herself. "[Phelan] talked frankly about how her life 'off the grid,' so to speak, had brought her huge rewards but also huge risks," she explained.

The former editor-in-chief also noted the impact of the non-traditional photography — several close-ups that don't hide the subject's age and another shot that depicts her nude and covered in mud — accompanying the piece.

Ari Fleischer '82, the current White House press secretary, was the featured alumnus for the winter 2002 edition. Morton described the issue as "strong and balanced," noting its inclusion of humorous anecdotes about Fleischer's time at the College as well as serious discussion of the impact of Sept. 11. She also noted the innovative photography.

"It has been hard not being at Middlebury to share the good news and excitement with the magazine staff," acknowledged Morton, who recently accepted a position as features editor at The Burlington Free Press.

In a statement to colleagues and supporters last week, she thanked "President McCardell and the other Middlebury administrators who trusted us and allowed us to stretch the boundaries, to take chances and go for the best possible magazine we could. It paid off," she affirmed.