Saturday, May 4, 2024

College Extends Lifeline to Unemployed Ethan Allen Workers

Author: Meghan Michelson

With an already threatened state economy and the most recent announcement to cut additional jobs and shut down manufacturing at two prominent Ethan Allen Interior Inc. furniture plants, the outlook does not look promising for unemployed Vermont residents.

Last week, the Danbury, Conn., based furniture company declared that manufacturing work in Vermont will soon be consolidated to reduce costs.

With the closure of its Randolph firm and the scaling back of the Orleans facility, a total of 223 people will be left jobless by the end of June.

The upcoming reduction is the second severe hit to Vermont employees of Ethan Allan, following the closure of the Island Pond factory nine months ago, which trimmed 120 jobs.

In a May 1 article in The Burlington Free Press, Ethan Allen Chairman Farooq Kathwari explained the rationale for this year's drastic changes. "The consolidation is necessary to focus our manufacturing on the most suitable plants in the U.S. This gives us the opportunity to manufacture our products more competitively," he said. The company reported an estimated company-wide savings of $4.6 billion thanks to the cutbacks.

The reduced employment in the Ethan Allen plants, which previously ranked among the state's top employers, could have devastating effects on families throughout Vermont. Fortunately, efforts are being made to counteract the rising unemployment rates among furniture makers. One such effort is being made right here at Middlebury College.

The construction of the College's new library, which began this spring and is scheduled to be completed by fall 2004, incorporates a plan to use wood products and services from those let go by Ethan Allen.

The College is working with the Island Pond Woodworking Alliance, a group of people who are trying to revive the Ethan Allen plant that closed down last August in the Northeast Kingdom. The new library will be built with environmentally sustainable and energy efficient modes of production, and now it will also support local residents in need of work.

"We have been working to use Vermont certified wood in construction and decided we'd like to work with Vermont woodworkers as well," said Jennifer Bleich, assistant project manager for Facilities Planning.

The College plans to use wood from the Alliance for end panels for shelving units and study carrels in the new library.

"We're really excited to be able to support this group, especially since Ethan Allen closing has had such a large impact on Vermont's economy. This is a great opportunity to support a business that failed and to help it get back on its feet," commented Bleich.

The College has signed a letter of intent indicating its commitment to use the Woodworking Alliance's products and handiwork. The letter has been shown publicly with the help of Senator Patrick Leahy's office in order to encourage others to support the Alliance and its cause.

"We're hoping other colleges and institutions in Vermont and New Hampshire will follow suit," said Bleich. With additional support, there is a chance that industry can be revived in the Northeast Kingdom, where the Island Pond factory is located.

Although no final arrangements have been made with the Alliance as of yet, the College remains dedicated to local manufacturers.

"It's an important goal of the College. We always try to support local companies. Middlebury is a leader in using Vermont workers and wood products and we expect to continue to do so in the future," concluded Bleich.