The Governing Bodies Defined

Author: Tim McCahill

The College Handbook defines the Student Government Association (SGA) as "the vehicle through which students can participate in the formulation of institutional policy affecting academic and student affairs and collectively express their views on matters of general interest to the student body."

The body, which also has the power to appoint students to the College's numerous councils and committees, is composed of a Student Senate comprised of class, commons representatives, and a non-voting Presidential Cabinet.

According to the Handbook, "[the] president shall represent the student body at meetings or functions within and outside of the College community"; he or she also sets the agenda for Senate meetings and is generally "responsible for the execution of all SGA action." The SGA Constitution is reprinted in the Handbook on pages 48 though 54 or can be found online at www.middlebury.edu/~sga.

A "forum in which all the segments of the College community — administration, faculty, staff and students — have a voice on nonacademic issues facing the College," the Community Council is comprised of members of each of these four groups and deliberates on matters of "mutual concern" to these. The Council has the power to implement official decisions on College policy and also serves as an advisory body to the president.

The Student Co-chair of Community Council serves alongside the SGA president and other student members on the Council. He or she is also a part of the SGA Presidential Cabinet.

—Tim McCahill,

Managing Editor