Men's Tennis Capitalizes on Break

Author: Scott Palmer

The Middlebury men's tennis team traveled to Hilton Head, S.C., last week on a continued mission to secure the program's first-ever birth in Division III Nationals, and judging by the results, the goal is more attainable than ever. The squad posted a 5-1 record, defeating Division III schools Carleton, DePauw, Salisbury State, Elmhurst and St. Olaf. The lone loss came to a Division I school, Niagara.

The Panthers started the week crushing Carleton 7-0 in a very strong showing that saw the Panthers capture the doubles point behind solid play from co-captains junior Steve Hulce and senior Matt Dougherty playing number one doubles and sophomore Stu Brown and first-year Justin Ingoglia at number two. In the ensuing singles matches the Panthers proved to be too much for the pesky Knights, winning all six singles matches.

The next day the Panthers faced their toughest match-up of the week in DePauw, which at the time was ranked number 12 in the nation. The Panthers came into the match fired up and looking to establish themselves as a team to be reckoned with on the national level. Once again, the number one and two doubles team set the tone for the match, both crushing their opponents 8-2. In singles action, Ingoglia won his match in three tough sets 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 at number one singles. Also picking up singles wins were Dougherty at number four singles, first-year Andrew Jacobi at number five singles and Brown at number six singles. Brown clinched the match for the Panthers, acing his opponent on match point and then letting out an emphatic yell.

The next day the Panthers were back in action against Salisbury State which proved to be no match for the Middlebury squad. Led once again by strong doubles play, including a win at number three doubles by the team of junior Bob Wainwright and first-year Michael DiRaimondo, the Panthers raced to a 6-1 win. Later in the same day, the Middlebury "B Squad" took on Elmhurst. The squad, led by honorary captains for the day, Wainwright and sophomore Michael Gillim, dominated the match, winning 7-0. In doubles action the makeshift teams of Jacobi and DiRaimondo, Wainwright and first-year Alex Meditz, who was recovering from a near-death virus, and Gillim and first-year Scott Palmer all dominated their matches, winning easily. In singles junior Rick Jamgochian, junior Chris "The Wiz" Jennings, Gillim, DiRaimondo, Palmer and Wainwright all won their matches.

Following the double-header the Panthers faced Minnesota powerhouse St. Olaf. The Oles came out fast, surprising the Panthers and actually taking the doubles point. The number three doubles team of Jacobi and Jamgochian was victorious, but the other two were defeated. Not to be outplayed, the Panthers came out stronger than ever in singles and won 5 out of the 6 matches to win the match 5-2.

In the last match of the weekend the Panthers faced Division I college Niagara, which proved to be just a bit too strong for Middlebury. Niagara ended Middlebury's undefeated run with a 4-3 victory, nevertheless the Panthers accomplishments throughout the week were not tarnished.

In a crucial match yesterday, the Panthers fell to the Ephs of Williams in a 6-1 decision. Williams has the number one ranked men's tennis team in the national Division III poll. The lone bright spot for Middlebury was the play of Jacobi who won a tough match at number four singles. He prevailed 1-6, 6-3, 6-2 in what proved to be a tense match.

The coming three weeks will be imperative to the squad's hopes of making nationals. The Panthers will face several New England Small College Athletic Conference foes, Bowdoin, Trinity, Tufts and Amherst. These matches will provide a true test for this strong Panther squad and will also carry strong post-season implications.

The team embarks on the challenge with its next match against Tufts at home on Friday. Wainwright said of the remaining schedule, "We are looking to win the remainder of our matches and we believe we are capable of doing so." If Wainwright and the rest of the team plays as they believe they can, then Nationals remain an attainable and realistic goal.