LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

To The Editor:

The reason I am writing you is because there was a major error in the Features article "Black History Celebration, An Ongoing Conversation" (Feb. 20, 2002). There was a gross misinterpretation about what the meaning of my choreography represented and I would like to set it straight. As a guest of Middlebury College and a professional, I would have appreciated some level of thoroughness from the writer in charge of this article; there was obviously no proper research done nor was I asked directly on what I was trying to say. The quote stated, "…Sophia Morris-Pittman who did an interpretative piece about a slave attempting to escape the confines of his master in Africa…" First of all, my choreography was not about slavery; secondly, I am not a "he" but a "she;" third, if they are talking about traditional slavery as we know it, the place is not Africa but the Americas. So there are three big mistakes that I feel are extremely embarassing; the history, meaning and who's who are incorrect. Now I don't mean to be harsh, but please remember two things: opinion and fact are very different, and it is critical to arrange formally to get the facts whether it be done by interview or a printed statement approved by the person of interest. Opinions we don't have control over.
For the record, my ballet is called "Nemesis," (there was a Greek goddess by this name and she was known for her part in enforcing social justice). The interpretation is for the people (all of mankind) to stand up and perservere through life's ups and downs, have the courage to face adversity and keep in mind that there is always a divine justice. Thank you.

— Sophia Morris-Pittman