Women's Hockey Title Hopes Leveled by Bowdoin

Author: Kate Nerenberg and David Lindholm

The Middlebury women's hockey team's season came to a quiet finish Tuesday night versus Bowdoin, following a disappointing showing in the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) tournament last weekend. The Bowdoin Polar Bears beat the Panthers for the first time since 1993 by a score of 2-1 on Tuesday.

Middlebury had played Bowdoin twice already this season and came away victorious both times, including once in Bowdoin's hometownBrunswick, but it couldn't come up with the win when it counted, in the NCAA quarterfinals. As the Panthers' streak of six straight NESCAC titles drew to a close on Friday, the drive for a third national championship in a row also ended this season.

Against Bowdoin, Middlebury controlled the pace of play early, dominating play and earning the first three shots of the game. A great scoring opportunity went begging about 12 minutes into the game, when Meghan Stone '05 broke in all alone, but Bowdoin's Emily McKissock made a superb stop to keep the game scoreless. Just minutes later, Amber Neil '03 came in on another breakaway, but McKissock rose to the challenge again with a kick save to keep the game tied. The Polar Bears had plenty of opportunities of their own, but Megan Hutchinson '02 was strong in net, and the first period ended with the Panthers owning a 7-6 edge in shots.

The second period looked much the same as the first, with both goaltenders coming up with excellent saves, and the game looked as if neither team would break the deadlock. Both teams were also able to kill penalties with skill. However, Bowdoin made a breakthrough when star forward Shelly Chessie flicked a wrister past Hutchinson's glove side with only 2:18 left in the period.

The third period started out with a glimmer of hope for the Panthers, as they went on an early powerplay and had a chance to even the score. But it was Chessie that had the best chance of the period, who intercepted a pass and broke in alone on Hutchinson. The senior netminder was up to the task, and made an exquisite glove save to keep the Panthers in the game.

Middlebury had more chances on another power play later in the third, but couldn't beat McKissock. The Polar Bears took a commanding 2-0 lead with six minutes left, when Chessie made a pass to set up another goal. The Panthers got one back with three minutes left, a Laurie Richmond '02 wrist shot, but the team couldn't continue with the momentum.

Despite a hard-fought game, the Middlebury women's hockey team could not stop the Williams Ephs in a NESCAC semi-final game on March 1. Tied at one goal a piece until the last three minutes of the game, the Ephs finally broke down the Panther defense late in the third period. Although both the Panthers and the Ephs managed to get off four shots each in the first period, neither team found the back of the net. The second period, however, belonged to Middlebury. Kristin Reid '04 made the Ephs pay for a failed clear at 9:31 into the second period and put the Panthers on the board. The Panther defense held strong, not allowing any shots, while the offense tried six more times throughout the period.

Early in the third period, Hutchinson denied a breakaway on a shorthanded play for the Ephs. Molly Wassermann of Williams responded with a goal just after the midpoint of the period during a power play. The game remained tied for the next six minutes of the period. At the 17:50 mark, Wassermann registered her second goal of the game off a pass from Annie Snodgrass, placing the puck behind Hutchinson. The Ephs held on for the next 2:10 to advance to the championship game on Saturday, where they fell to Bowdoin, 2-1.

The Bowdoin game spelled the end of the season and the end of the Middlebury careers of seven seniors: Richmond, Hutchinson, Lynette Cassidy, Catharine Elkins, Anna Hastings, Nina Kieves and Nico Kieves. Bowdoin advances to face Manhattanville, who beat the Panthers earlier in the season for Middlebury's first Division III loss in over six years.