Saturday, May 4, 2024

Track to Fill Void With Team Depth

Author: Erich Kahner

In talking with various coaches and captains about the prospects of this year's outdoor track team, one word hung on everyone's lips: depth. Middlebury may not have the superstar who can carry the load for the whole team, but all the pieces are present for them to retain their place among the upper echelon in the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC).

Between the men and the women, last year's senior class was perhaps the strongest ever in the team's history. Among this group was track's reigning Mr. NESCAC Ethan Barron, 10-time All-American Kate Irvin and three-time national champ Kristy Laramee. Head Coach Martin Beatty puts things in perspective. "The challenge this year is to not only replace these people," Beatty remarked. "We also need to make sure we exploit the potential we have to score with our depth."

Although the task is formidable, a few athletes will attempt to fill the big spikes of last year's seniors. A few names Beatty and distance coach Nicole Wilkerson highlighted were: Yuri Lawrence and Dave Wright '02 in the sprints and jumps, Andy Boyer '02 in the hurdles and Holly Carlson '02 and Jenny Marsh '04 in the throwing events.

Hannah Huegle '04, an All-New England performer during the indoor season, and All-American Michela Adrian '03 are also expected to pick up some of the slack at the conference meet.

Continuing with the theme of depth, senior and former all-American in the javelin Bryan Black commented on the promise of the men and women throwers, "We are much more experienced than last year," Black reported. "We also have more throwers now than I think we've ever had."

The coaches and captains placed some earlier pressure on some of the rookies as well. On the men's side, there are too many to mention, but a lot of potential lies in the young mid-distance runners, sprinters and throwers. First-years Jess Manzer and Alli Williams lead the rookie resurgence for the women.

The team takes its mixture of youth and experience to San Diego, Calif. for some key, early meets over Spring Break. During this time, the team builds the camaraderie that has been essential to its' past success. "I think our main goal is winning NESCACs," half-miler Meredith Bazirgan '02 noted. "We want to get that started in California."

Leadership for the panthers comes in the form of its senior captains: Joe Lewis, Christy Logue, Black and Bazirgan. Coaches Beatty and Wilkerson champion the track portion of the sport, while jumping and throwing coaches Luke Hotte and Dave Kerin guide the field events.