Wednesday, May 8, 2024

SGA Senate Reevaluates Campus Safety Strategy

Author: Cara Lovell

The Student Government Association (SGA) clarified its stance concerning the changes being made in dormitory security as a result of the Nov. 29 armed robbery and assault at Hadley Hall last Sunday. The informal consensus of the senators was that they should keep in mind the strong views of the students against the "lockdown," yet work constructively with the administration to make the inevitability of a stricter security system as convenient as possible for the students.

The "Dormitory Safety Program and Resolution II" bill sponsored by Speaker of the Senate Kevin King '02 informed much of the SGA's discussion. The proposal was divided into two sections. The first, aiming to direct students' problems with the current locking situation to the right resources, passed unanimously. However, King withdrew the controversial second section of the bill that would investigate the role of drug distribution networks in bringing violence to the Middlebury College campus.

At the opening of their discussion, the senators focused on the developing security policy and how it should affect their subcommittee on public safety created in December. Simon Isaacs '03 expressed his disappointment in the lack of a formal response by the administration to the SGA's opposition to the lockdown, arguing that senators would be "shooting blanks" by making any new suggestions unless they knew why their former position could not be acted upon.

Dean of Student Affairs Ann Hanson responded that President John McCardell's letter to the Community Council explained that he had to weigh the interests that make up the College community as a whole. She said she was disappointed that students felt they were not being heard and later commented, "Being heard does not guarantee that the subsequent decision will be the same as every viewpoint expressed."

Several senators supported SGA Director of Public Safety Kristie Gonzalez '02 in saying that the SGA must compromise for a moderated form of a dormitory "lockdown" instead of "beating a dead horse," and that their new objective should be to work proactively with the administration to have as much influence in new policies as possible.

The SGA also reacted to the suggestion of the campus safety specialist Dr. Adam Thermos on March 11 to use automated scanners at dorm entrances that would read "proximity cards" carried by students. The senators raised concerns about students' privacy if the proximity cards were tracked and about what kind of information would become available through this system. Hanson responded that proximity card data would be helpful in tracking serious crimes, but that the administration could set a "high standard" for access to that information.

The new safety bill presented by King and co-authored by Nina Kieves '02 allowed the SGA to discuss current changes in campus security even more thoroughly. The endorsed first section of the bill will result in a three-part public awareness campaign. First, signs specific to each commons will be posted in dormitories telling students how to report faulty keys and locks, and by April 19 a Web site will be created for students to post problems and receive help. The third part of the campaign is an explanatory letter to all campus officials who might be able to help students further.

The second section of the bill was written to address the latest evidence from March 12 that the Hadley crime was clearly drug-related. The proposal thus included an investigation of "the nature and extent of illegal drug distribution networks on campus, as well as any threat(s) to the student body which arise from such networks."

Hanson pointed out that the College has never been successful in identifying drug dealers because students are reluctant to offer information, especially given the threat of expulsion.

King responded that the committee would only be looking at general trends and not specific names, and argued that students were too "permissive" of the danger that drug distribution brings to campus. He urged senators to view this problem as at least as important as unlocked doors, saying that he "could count on one hand" students he knew were involved with the distribution of drugs. Hands shot up across the room. Brainerd Commons Representative Stoddart Pierce '04 was backed by fellow senators in saying that the second section would not be viable or supported by students and made a motion to strike the section. Matt Riemer '04 added his concern that the SGA would become an out of place "police body," and Gonzalez worried that the section would be "a joke to the administration."

King decided to withdraw the second section of the proposal, but later commented, "When writing the bill, I wondered to myself, is the best solution to Middlebury's problems locking doors, or is it better policing drug distribution and other elements of campus activity without locks? I do not know the answer, but I'm glad that I was at least able to raise the question."

In the conclusion of their discussion, the SGA senators seemed to come to a consensus on how they should most productively approach the changes in dorm security due to the most recent information about the Hadley crime. King advocated a "continued principled stance" that would focus on what the SGA has the ability to change.

Cook Commons Representative Jacob Carney '04 stated that the ideal security system should "feel like it's not even there" and that it should be accessible and convenient, such as "some sort of universal key." Pierce emphasized that even "the laziest student" should feel he has full access to the campus.

The senators concluded that they would each consider the new complexities in campus safety brought by the possibility of proximity cards as well as by the concrete evidence of drug-related violence.