Thursday, May 2, 2024

Elworthy, Hunt Initiate Citation Policy Revisions

Author: Mary Christine Kwiatek

After meeting with Associate Dean of Student Affairs Marichal Gentry regarding alcohol policies on campus, Student Government Association (SGA) President Brian Elworthy '02.5 and SGA Chief of Staff Ginny Hunt '03 co-authored a formal proposal to reform the current alcohol citation policy at Middlebury College. This plan comes after the College administration conducted a study over the past several weeks regarding the existing policy.

"It is my understanding that this [proposal] serves as student voice in the decision making process that ultimately lies with the College deans," Elworthy commented. "Although there are no guarantees that this proposal will be accepted in its entirety and implemented in full, it serves as an important step in the process, for it provides student input and student perspective on the alcohol citation policy."

The current policy, which was established in the mid-1990s, requires a "five-hour, two-part educational seminar" with the third citation received. "The seminar [is] offered once a month and attendance is mandatory … Failure to attend the alcohol seminar results in disciplinary probation. No make-up sessions are available."

"It is our belief that at times the existing alcohol citation policy may not adequately discourage the type of behavior that it seeks to address," the proposal stated. "Particularly in situations in which students are fearful of receiving additional citations, studies have shown that these students will situate themselves in locations that Public Safety officers do not frequent, i.e. dorm rooms. This dangerous behavior…can lead to serious consequences."

With the reformed policy, students will be given the option of attending an alcohol counseling education session upon receiving their first citation. If the student decides to attend this session and completes it satisfactorily, a record will be held that he or she attended and that citation will be erased from the student's record. However, if the student chooses not to attend the session, the citation will be recorded and a notice sent home to parents.

"Providing counseling after the first citation, I believe, will deter further instances of illegal drinking and also meet the objective of educating students," Elworthy said, adding that students "must be provided with an incentive to enroll in this one-time counseling session."

"That is why I have proposed allowing students to remove one citation from the official tally upon successful completion of this course," he continued.

The new proposal also calls for parent notification for any and all citations a student receives. It also stated, "The current existing framework of counseling after the third citation will remain in effect. However, this session after a third citation will not erase a citation."

"The decision of any change lies with the administration, particularly the Dean of Students Office." Elworthy noted. "They have been pleased to receive student input and will render a decision upon their own timetable. Hopefully their decision-making process will take into consideration this proposal."

When asked to comment, Gentry, chair of the committee evaluating the citation policy in detail, said that the proposal was still under review.

"Students have been discussing the alcohol citation policy recently, and I have had numerous students, who remember my campaigning on this issue last year, approach me all year," Elworthy said. "I am simply following through on a promise that I made last spring during campaign season."

Elworthy clarified that he was not suggesting that the alcohol citation policy be removed. "However," he elucidated, "I do believe that it must be improved … I do not feel as though a policy change will alter the amount of drinking on this campus, nor is that the intent, but it may address drinking habits that occur."