Play Time Rewarding to Children and Volunteers

Author: Julia Samara

"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted," Garrison Keillor once said. Whether playing outside, reading in the library or working together in the classroom, spending time with children is always a worthwhile experience.

Those in search of a volunteer or work-study position involving children or just an excuse to play are in luck. Through Middlebury College's Office of Service Learning and Student Employment, it is easy to find a great opportunity to interact with children in the Middlebury area.

The Addison County Parent and Child Center, located at 126 Monroe St. in Middlebury, is a parenting support and education center for young families with children under three years of age.

The program's mission is to serve pregnant and parenting adolescents by offering childcare and a variety of services to the program's participants, all in an effort to help get new families on their feet.

In the Parent and Child Center, student workers can help in a variety of ways, from childcare to office work or mentoring an individual participant. For students interested in adult education, childcare or counseling, the Parent and Child Center is a great place to get involved.

Call the program's co-directors, Susan Harding and Donna Bailey at 388-3171, or readthe "Volunteer Opportunity Guide" on the Middlebury Service Learning and Student Employment Web site for more information.

Fifteen Middlebury College students are currently working at the Otter Creek Child Center, which provides classroom and playtime activities for children up to the age of five.

Conveniently located near the College at 150 Weybridge St., student workers and volunteers spend a lot of time in direct contact with children at the Center, both facilitating play and assisting teachers to prepare classroom environments.

"The children love our student helpers," commented Doumina Noonan, director of the Center. "We really appreciate their work and some have even stayed with us throughout their tenure at Middlebury."

Otter Creek still needs applicants who are enthusiastic, responsible, reliable and have some experience interacting with young children. For more information or to schedule an interview, contact Kimberly Waterman or Doumina Noonan at 388-9688.

Mary Hogan Elementary School, Middlebury's kindergarten through sixth grade school at 201 Mary Hogan Dr., has strong connections to the College, with students volunteering through both the Page 1 Literacy Project and Mary Hogan's after-school clubs.

"The Mary Hogan after-school clubs are organized around volunteers' interests," explained Margaret Sanchez, the parent volunteer coordinator.

"In the past, the clubs have included topics such as quilting, snowshoeing, pet care, chess and holiday crafts." Clubs usually run for one to six weeks, from 2:50 until 4:30 p.m. Depending on the activity, class size ranges from eight to 25.

Those interested in running or helping with an organized club are encouraged to contact Sanchez at 443-3010. Sanchez also serves as Middlebury College's coordinator for Page 1, which offers a number of programs for readers of all ages in local schools and libraries.

"We have varied opportunities ranging from one-time events such as Hogwart's School and Curious George's Birthday to weekly clubs as well as tutoring opportunities," said Sanchez.

These three programs are just a sample of the wide range of local volunteer opportunities related to children offered to Middlebury students.

Melissa Crabb '05, who works at the Addison County Parent and Child Center said, "I feel lucky to be involved with a program like this. My experience here has been very rewarding."