Men's Basketball Outlasts Wesleyan in Double OT

Author: Daniel Russel

Two thrilling Panther victories were sandwiched by disappointing losses as the men's basketball team went 2-2 in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) play. The four games were indicative of the team's season, as the Panthers showed poise in a double-overtime victory over Wesleyan University on Feb. 2, but then slumped to a 103-88 loss to Tufts University a week later.

On Feb. 1, the Panthers hosted Connecticut College, and dominated the opening minutes of the game, building a 12-3 advantage in the first few minutes. Connecticut eventually made their way back into the game, taking a 30-25 lead into the break.

The Camels built on their momentum and extended their lead to 11 with 8:11 remaining. Middlebury, as it has done so many times in the past, demonstrated their resilience and indomitable strength of will, regained the lead on an 18-5 run, spurred on by the play of Donnelly (11 points, 7 rebounds) and the gutsy play of first-year Mike Salek (13 points, 2-3 from behind the arc) and capped off by the exhilarating play of Anderson (14 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block), who showed remarkable poise as he caught the ball at the top of the key and drained a three to give the Panthers the lead.

They were unable to score again, however, in what would prove to be a frustrating anticlimax, as Connecticut regained the lead on a free-throw with 1:54 left to play. In a display of utter futility, Middlebury turned the ball over five times in each of their final five possessions as the Camels held on for the win. While the end of the game demonstrated the team's critical lack of experience, the rest of the game showed how much the team has already matured and the players' vast potential.

The next day, the Panthers finally delivered their masterpiece, a 100-87 double-overtime victory over Wesleyan. The game was the fulfillment of the promise the Panthers had shown against Connecticut. It was tight all the way through, as Wesleyan guarded a slim 36-33 lead going into the second half and maintained that lead for the majority of the second half. But the Panthers stayed close and went on a 9-0 run to go ahead 65-60 with 3:51 left to play. The team was also given renewed energy after David Coratti '04 took a charge toward the end of regulation that caused Wesleyan star Leo Jones to foul out of the game.

Excitement began when Wesleyan proceeded to tie the game, In perhaps the most thrilling series this season, Wesleyan's Chris Bray and Salek each traded back-to-back three pointers, Salek's second coming with only 15 seconds left to play to force overtime.

This exchange was repeated at the end of the first overtime, as Salek, demonstrating phenomenal skill under pressure, hit two more three pointers to tie the game and force a second overtime. In the second extra session, the Panthers went on a 7-0 run, and eventually won 100-87. Salek finished with 14 points on 4-6 shooting from behind the arc, while Bundonis (28 points) and Anderson (22 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 blocks) turned in superb performances, and were aided by the surprising play of first-year Simon Behan (10 points).

The Panthers then continued their brilliant play, as they traveled to Bates College and dispatched the Bobcats easily. Entering halftime with a 50-38 lead, Middlebury continued to extend its lead, opening the second half with a 17-7 run. Consecutive three pointers by Bundonis (15 points, 5 rebounds) and Altman (12 points, 5 assists). Middlebury cruised to an easy victory 101-66, as Coratti had 16 points, and Anderson added 15 points in a game in which six players scored in double figures.

Tufts was nexts, and in a hard-fought game marred by 57 fouls and 74 free throw attempts, the Panthers took a 51-45 lead going into the second half on 20-22 free throw shooting. Tufts gradually crept back in the game, taking the lead 59-58 on a three-pointer with 15:12 left, but Middlebury responded with a 13-4 run of their own, giving them the lead 71-68 advantage at 9:30.

With the score tied at 73-73, the Jumbos took control. Middlebury struggled to keep up, and the Tufts ended with 103-88 win. Anderson (11 points), Coratti (10) and Altman (14) all contributed well in the losing effort. With the loss the Panthers move to 11-12 on the season, and 3-5 in the NESCAC.

The Panthers will next play Williams on Saturday in a game that may well decide whether it gains a NESCAC playoff berth. "We want to be in control of our own destiny," says Bundonis. "We can't rely on other teams to decide our fate. We're looking at this last game as a must-win situation. We've progressed a lot, but we shouldn't have dropped both games on that Maine trip [against Colby and Bowdoin]. Now there's pressure on us for this last week."