COLLEGE SHORTS

Author: Claire Bourne

Hostage Situation Ends at Fairfield University

Twenty-two students and a professor were taken hostage yesterday afternoon in a classroom at Connecticut's Fairfield University by a recent graduate claiming to be armed with an explosive device.
Five female students were released shortly after the situation began. A few hours later, 11 more students were set free after police negotiations. Around 10 p.m. the hostage-taker released the remaining hostages.
He walked into a religious studies class at the school's Canisius Hall at approximately 4 p.m. yesterday. The rest of the building and two adjacent buildings, including one dormitory, were promptly evacuated. Police said they had been "in constant communication with [the man] since the onset of this incident."
Authorities said that the man had made demands but would not divulge what he was seeking. Students said he was visually impaired and typically walks with a guide dog.
Although the dog was not with him at the time of the incident, a Fairfield University junior said, "I heard that he wants to be noticed by the University. Perhaps he feels like he's been slighted by the University and wants some kind of justice."
Fairfield, Conn., Mayor Ken Flatto said that, although the graduate had been identified by police, his name would not be disclosed.
A spokesman for the University said that "it [was] a very calm scene" and that students were gathering at a safe distance from the building to watch the situation unfold.
At press time the suspect remained in the building still claiming to be armed with explosives.

Source: CNN.com

Bush Creates Presidential Advisory Board
for Black Colleges
President George W. Bush signed an executive order yesterday creating a presidential advisory board for historically black colleges and universities. Board members will include current presidents of the colleges, representatives of private foundations, business and financial leaders and high school administrators.
According to White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer '82, the panel will submit an annual report with suggestions on how to advance the academic performance, use of technology and financial planning at historically black institutions of higher learning.
Bush's campaign promises included a 30 percent increase in funding for these institutions during his term in office. His budget plan for fiscal 2003 recommends approximately $264 million for traditionally black colleges and universities and $89 million for Hispanic schools.

Source: Associated Press

University of Georgia Heats Buildings
With Animal Fat
The University of Georgia has found an innovative way to heat buildings on campus — by burning chicken fat.
Scientists at the University claim that chicken fat, restaurant grease and similar "biofuels" are safer for people and the environment than oil and coal.
The University spent $30,000 to modify one of its large steam boilers so that it could burn animal fats and oils in addition to gas and fuel oil. The institution's primary boiler still burns coal, however the recently converted one is being used to provide additional heat during the cold winter months.
Tests conducted by the University's Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering found that animal fats produce 90 percent of the heat of fuel oil. In addition, the concentration of sulfur and other air pollutants was found to be comparatively lower in resulting air emissions.
The project is being funded by the U.S. Poultry and Egg Association and the Fats and Protein Research Foundation and will soon expand to test the uses of animal fat in automobile engines.
Within two decades, the nation's energy plan will require 20 percent of energy needs to be satisfied by alternative fuel sources. Since the United States produces upward of 2 million pounds of chicken fat a week and 11 billion pounds of fat a year from poultry, pork and beef, this inventive approach to the energy crisis appears to be a viable option.
As for the students of the University of Georgia, no one has complained yet about the odor.

Source: Associated Press

Two Harvard Students Charged with Embezzlement
Two Harvard University students have been charged with stealing $100,000 from the Hasty Pudding Theatricals club, the oldest and most well known theater group in the country. Suzanne Pomey and Randy Gomes, both 21, allegedly used the organization's credit cards to transfer funds into their own accounts. Prosecutors in Middlesex County, Mass., said the money was spent on Gomes's drug habit and on trips to New York City, Chicago, Palm Springs, California and Cape Cod. Both students pled not guilty to grand larceny last week despite having acknowledged their involvement in the scam to authorities.
Pomey served as a co-producer of the Hasty Pudding Theatricals last year and oversaw the group's finances while Gomes acted as assistant director of the club's "Man of the Year" and "Woman of the Year" shows, both of which honor celebrities.
Lena Demashkieh, who assumed the position of co-producer last March, discovered that the organization's bank account balance was approximately $50,000 lower than financial records indicated. She then noticed a $16,000 withdrawal made without her approval.
The University will only decide whether to take disciplinary action once the criminal proceedings are complete, a Harvard spokeswoman said.

Source: The New York Times
Campus Crime Statistics Increase in 2000
The number of drug arrests on the nation's college and university campuses increased by 10.2 percent in 2000 while the number of liquor arrests rose 4.2 percent.
In 2000, Pennsylvania State University at University Park made 175 drug arrests, the most of any American university, and Michigan State University recorded 852 alcohol-related arrests.
Sixteen murders occurred on campuses, marking a 45.5 percent increase from 1999. The number of hate crimes also escalated to 555 in 2000 from 401 the year before. These offenses consisted mainly of simple or aggravated assault.
Jeffrey Ross, the national director for campus and higher-education affairs at the Anti-Defamation League, cited better reporting, not an increase in actual incidents, as the reason for the increase in 2000.

Source: The Chronicle of Higher Education