The Inside Story Red Sox vs. Yankees? No Contest

Author: David Lindholm

Pitchers and catchers report to spring training in a month. The Red Sox, with a retooled lineup and pitching staff, will look to improve on their last year's tough season. The 2001 campaign for the Sox was rife with injuries and discord.

This year will be different. The Sox will go all the way. That's right, the World Series, first one since 1918. How do I know? Well, they're better than the only team who even have a chance of challenging: the New York Yankees. If you don't believe me, let's take an objective look at the teams, position by position, to discover the truth about who's better.

Starting Pitching: Pedro Martinez and Dustin Hermanson vs. Mike Mussina and Roger Clemens. Pedro has been training with his left hand due to shoulder trouble on his right arm, and has been clocked at 94 miles per hour, and Mussina lacks fire. As for Clemens, he is too old and fat for another season, and his 20-3 record from last year is misleading. Also misleading is Hermanson's 14-13 record and 4.45 ERA; it's better than it looks. Advantage: Pedro and Dustin.

Relief Pitching: Ugueth Urbina vs. Mariano Rivera. Rivera will never recover from his World Series collapse. Advantage: Ugueth.

Catcher: Jason Varitek vs. Jorge Posada. Injured last year Varitek will be 2002 Comeback Player of the Year. Advantage: Varitek.

First Base: Brian Daubach vs. Jason Giambi. The Yankee's prized offseason pickup, Giambi, will succumb to New York and be addicted to crack by July. Advantage: Daubach, the Belleville Basher.

Second Base: Jose Offerman vs. Alfonso Soriano. In this game, there is no substitute for experience. Advantage: Offerman.

Third Base: Shea Hillenbrand vs. Robin Ventura. Ventura is old and broken-down. Advantage: Hillenbrand.

Shortstop: Nomar Garciaparra vs. Derek Jeter. No contest. Advantage: Nomar.

Outfield: Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon, Trot Nixon vs. Shane Spencer, Bernie Williams, Rondell White. Manny will knock in 200 RBI's, Damon will steal 100 bases and Trot Nixon, who was Red Sox 2001 MVP, will be American League MVP in 2002. Spencer, Williams, and White? I don't think so. Advantage: Ramirez, Damon and Trot.

However, any team, no matter how good or bad, depends on the brains behind the brawn. Manager: Joe Kerrigan vs. Joe Torre. Torre is a has-been. Kerrigan is one of the up-and-coming stars of the managerial ranks. Advantage: Kerrigan.

And finally, every team needs a mascot, somebody that both the team and the fans can look to for comic relief.

Mascot: Wally the Green Monster vs. Don Zimmer. They're both jokes, but with a higher IQ, Wally has the edge. He's also better looking. Advantage: Wally.

Sure, the Yankees are good, but they just can't compete with the Sox.