De Gray to Retire After 50 Years of Service

Author: Ashley Elpern Editor-in-Chief

After over 50 years of service to Middlebury College, Rodney De Gray, administrator of Dining Services employment, will retire on March 1, 2002. At the College's annual Thanksgiving dinner on Nov. 15, Student Government Association (SGA) President Brian Elworthy '02.5 presented De Gray with a plaque on behalf of the SGA for his contributions to the Middlebury community.

Although De Gray officially began working at the College in 1951 in what was then Gifford dining hall, he started out as a dishwasher for the students of the Italian summer school in 1947. Following two years as a cook for the U.S. Army in Korea, De Gray returned to Middlebury to begin his lifelong career in Dining Services.

De Gray has worked in every dining hall on campus in a variety of fields. "I just did my job, learned as much as I could as fast as I could, and my bosses moved me up," he said. He later assumed the role of manager at the Proctor Dining Hall bakery and remained there until 1998 when he moved to Freeman International Center. In addition to working in Proctor, De Gray and his wife, Beverly, were in charge of finances for the former Crest Room snack bar, the snack bar at the Snow Bowl and the dining services at Bread Loaf.

Beverly started working at Middlebury in 1957, working in the Crest Room and at The Grille, and retired in February of 2000. Working at the College has been a family affair for De Gray. Both of his parents were employees, his mother devoting 43 years of service. Currently, his nephew, Michael De Gray, is the first cook at Proctor, and has been working at Middlebury for 22 years.

Peter Napolitano, director of Dining Services, has worked with De Gray since 1997, and described him as a "quiet, thinking individual." He noted, "When Rodney speaks to you, you know that he has thought everything through. There is a sense of wisdom when he speaks."

Napolitano said that De Gray is now in charge of payroll, bank deposits and petty cash withdrawals. As manager of the Proctor Hall bakery, he organized all catering, purchases and general operations of the dining hall.

In regards to De Gray's presence in the work environment, "everyone relies on Rodney as a calming effect," said Napolitano. "He has a natural, God-given talent in that when he is on the scene, he calms the room." Napolitano continued that De Gray's fellow workers see him as a counselor and a confidant, as he is honest and trustworthy.

A fixture in Dining Services for 50 years, De Gray has influenced countless employees. Three such employees are Head Baker Pat Broughton, who has been with the College for 42 years, Baker Keith Payne, who has 37 years of experience at Middlebury and Baker's Helper Robert Stowe, a 36-year veteran. According to Broughton, De Gray taught all three how to bake, and he also learned English Sign Language to communicate with the several deaf employees at Proctor. Broughton said that De Gray was "very serious, but fair" and that he worked very well with all employees.

Another employee who experienced De Gray's work ethic and leadership skills is Charles Sargent, buyer and receiving supervisor at Proctor. "Once you meet Rodney, he gains immediate respect and never does anything to lose it," he said. He echoed Napolitano when he stated that De Gray is "very honest" and a man of few words.

During his half-century at the College, the nature of dining services has "changed phenomenally," said De Gray, as he noted that instead of the traditional meat and potatoes, students now have the options of dozens of items in the salad bar. He said that student demand for a more diverse selection of food, as well as increased awareness of "healthy food," prompted much of the alterations.

The College planned several events this year to honor De Gray. He flipped a specially minted coin with his image on the front at the start of the Homecoming football game. Napolitano said that there are plans to have De Gray featured in Middlebury Magazine, and a film project comprised of interviews of De Gray's fellow employees and friends is in the works. It will be featured in mid-February at a dinner given in his honor.

De Gray said it is difficult for him to think about retiring, as he enjoys coming to work and seeing his friends that he has known for so many years. He maintained, "The College has been a very good employer. I have always worked well with the staff and the administration is always very supportive."

While retirement will bring an end to his 50-year career at Middlebury, he said he hopes to continue to have a strong connection to the College for years to come.