Notes from the Desk: Why a 2024 staff issue?

Since our last staff issue, Middlebury has unveiled a new skill-based compensation system, seen rising housing costs and childcare shortages, faced severe understaffing in the dining halls and Davis Family Library, and seen some of its most experienced staff members leave.

Students have their finger on the pulse of their peers’ experiences at the college, and they passionately engage with professors on the daily, yet staff are often an afterthought — if they are  thought of at all. We write staff issues to give staff our platform to share their messages — what they want to change at Middlebury, how they feel about their work and their experiences finding housing and childcare in Vermont. We want to describe them as people, too: we asked about favorite songs to build a Proc playlist, major pop culture moments and stand-up side gigs.

Staff at the college are an integral part of the student experience, from the revolutionary loudspeaker in Proctor to the instruction of Special Collections archivists and support from religious faith leaders. We aim to highlight the authentic staff experience at Middlebury — the positive, the negative, the exciting, the frustrating. 

We cannot speak with every college employee or speak to every worthy cause, but through these pages we hope to touch on a number of issues and communities within the college’s staffing. 

To students and faculty, we hope you gain a new window into the lives of vital college employees who support you. 

To administrators, we hope you consider the value of your staff and ways to recognize their work with duly earned respect and fair compensation.

To staff, we hope we have accurately represented your hard work, concerns and calls for change. And we hope you will continue to share your stories with us — our tip line is always open.

Katie Futterman

Katie Futterman '24 (she/her) is a Managing Editor.

Katie previously served as a News Editor and Staff Writer. This past summer, she was a news intern at Seven Days, and she held the same position at the Addison Independent the prior summer. In her free time, she loves to read, write, and bask in the sun.

Maggie Reynolds

Maggie Reynolds '24 (she/her) is the Editor in Chief.  

Maggie previously served as the Senior Local Editor, a Local Section Editor, and a Staff Writer. She spent this past J-term interning for VTDigger, covering topics from affordable housing in Addison County to town government scandals. She also interned for Seven Days VT as an arts & culture reporter summer 2022 and as a news reporter for the Daily Gazette in Schenectady, NY summer 2021.   

Maggie is majoring in History and minoring in Political Science and Spanish. She was a three-year member of the Women's Swimming and Diving team. Maggie enjoys running, hiking, and iced maple lattes. 

Ryan McElroy

Ryan McElroy '25 (he/him) is a managing editor for The Middlebury Campus.  

He previously served as a news editor and staff writer.  

Ryan is majoring in History with a possible minor in psychology or English. He also takes part in Middlebury Mock Trial and Matriculate.org on campus. He spent this past summer working as a research assistant in the History department studying Middle Eastern immigration to New England.