Food, Music, Arts Festivals — Summer Events in Addison County

As the semester winds down and we look ahead to the summer, many Middlebury students will stay in Middlebury to do research, pursue internships, work on campus or maybe just bask in the sweet Vermont sun. Pooling together our collective summer experiences in Vermont and some online research, here is a round-up of events in Addison County (and beyond) to look forward to this upcoming summer. 

Middlebury Farmers’ Market: every Saturday outdoors in the VFW parking lot on Exchange Street beginning May 6. Vendors rotate from week to week, but frequent attendees include Dee’s Delight, Frog Hollow Farm, Good Companion Bakery, 802 Craft Cannabis and Twin Maple Sugar Works.

Lincoln Peak and Town Hall Theater World & Wine: on May 27 at the Lincoln Peak Vineyard in New Haven, Lincoln Peak and the Town Hall Theater will kick off the summer World & Wine music series in which they invite artists from around the world to perform outdoor concerts. The band Mal Maïz — consisting of Maiz “Brujo” Vargas Sandoval, a Costa Rican multi-instrumentalist, and his Afro-Latino Orchestra — will headline the first event of the series. 

Midd Summer Market series: every Thursday between June 1 and Aug. 31 at Triangle Park in downtown Middlebury. Sponsored by the Better Middlebury Partnership, the market runs between 3:30 and 7:30 p.m. with prepared food, live music, crafts and produce. 

Ben & Jerry’s Concerts on the Green: between June 11 and Sept. 16 on the grounds of the Shelburne Museum. Highlights of this summer’s lineup include Rainbow Kitten Surprise on June 11, Big Thief on July 17 and Mt. Joy on Aug. 8. 

Foodaroo Food, Music and Street Performer Festival: June 25 from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Marble Works. Presented by Middlebury UndergrounD (MUD), the eighth annual festival will include a lineup of Addison/Chittenden County food vendors, a King Arthur Flour Baking competition and Vermont musicians, street performers, dancers. In previous years, vendors in attendance included Aqua ViTea Kombucha, Crooked Ladle Catering and Sister’s of Anarchy Ice Cream. 

Middlebury Festival on the Green: July 9–15 on the village green in downtown Middlebury. Supported by a mix of community donations and volunteers, the 2023 lineup features about 15 musical ensembles that will appeal to children and adults alike. Highlights on the lineup for the 44th annual event include Durham County Poets, Yacouba Sissoko Trio and No Strings Marionette Company. 

BMP Downtown Block Party: on Thursday, August 4, the Better Middlebury Partnership (BMP) will block off a section of Main Street in downtown Middlebury to make space for food, games, live music and over 40 vendors. The festivities will begin at 3 p.m.

Addison County Fair and Field Days: Aug. 8–12 at the fairgrounds in Vergennes. Vermont’s largest Agricultural Fair, the event typically includes a variety of horse, sheep, goat, poultry, etc., shows, along with a demolition derby, carnival rides and food vendors.

Middlebury New Filmmakers Festival: Aug. 23–27 at a number of locations in Middlebury, including the Town Hall Theater, Marquis Theater, Twilight Hall, Dana Auditorium and Swift House Inn Tent. The ninth year of the event this summer will feature over 125 films, panels and parties for attendees. Students can buy discounted tickets ahead of time or a ticket for a single screening at the door. 

Vergennes Day: Saturday, Aug. 26 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. all around downtown Vergennes — the Little City. Put on by the Addison County Chamber of Commerce, the event in past years has featured a fire department pancake breakfast; 5k, 10k, 15k Road Races and Fun Run; vendors; bandstand music; horse and wagon rides; and the Lions Club Chicken BBQ. 

Mad River Valley Craft Fair: Sept. 2–3 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily at Kenyon’s Field off of Route 100 in Waitsfield. The 52nd anniversary of the fair will feature fine arts & crafts, live music, a food court and raffle. 

Middlebury Marquis Theatre Trivia: every Thursday between 7 and 9 p.m. at the theater café in downtown Middlebury. Teams of up to six can play for free to win prizes while enjoying southwestern food from the cinema café. 

Notte Salsa Night: every Thursday between 8 p.m. and 12 a.m, Two Brothers Tavern will open their sister bar Notte for a night of dancing to a mix of traditional and contemporary Hispanic music styles, such as salsa, bachata and reggaeton. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 7.26.45 PM.png
Pictured above is the ever popular “Demo Derby” in which contestants compete by slamming their cars into each other to see whose vehicle lasts the longest.