Monday, May 16, 2022

Football team to host Be The Match Registry Drive on May 5

Be The Match is an organization that connects patients with a donor match for a life-saving marrow or umbilical cord blood transport. On Thursday, May 5, the Middlebury football team is running a Be The Match Registry Drive, recruiting potential marrow donors. The event will occur from noon to 6 p.m. in the white tent outside of McCullough. 

“You have the ability to save someone's life directly and it's an easy procedure,” Cole Brown ’22.5 told The Campus. “It goes a long way.” 

To join the registry, participants must give a swab of the cheek cells, meet age and health requirements and complete a health history form. Individuals can also help the cure by becoming a volunteer or financial contributor.

This is the first year the football team is hosting a Be The Match Registry Drive. So far, the team has already completed a lot of internal swabbing as a first step to help the 12,000 or more patients each year who don’t have a matching marrow donor within their family. 

Those who can't make the event in-person can join the registry by completing a swab kit at another time. Registrations for this procedure can be completed at  my.bethematch.org/MiddleburySaves.

Blaise Siefer

Blaise Siefer ‘23 is the Senior Sports Editor.

Siefer is majoring in Sociology and plans to minor in Spanish.

Now in his third year writing for The Campus, Siefer has covered  several varsity teams and has written numerous feature stories for the  sports section. Last year, he began to host and produce a sports  podcast, Siefer's Scoop, which he will continue to run throughout the  '21-22 academic year. The podcast tells the stories of Middlebury's  varsity athletes, both past and present.

Siefer is also the co-president of Middlebury Club Soccer.