Meg Fearey ’21.5 turns artistic passion into business

Meg Fearey ’21.5, who graduated from Middlebury in February, is the founder of MFeareyDesigns. Fearey sells artistic products such as sketches, paintings and jewelry.

Meg Fearey ’21.5 has always been an artist, but it wasn’t easy for her to create art at Middlebury. During her four years at the college, she was a member of the field hockey team and studied neuroscience.

But a busy schedule didn’t deter Fearey from building and growing MFeareyDesigns, a business that sells drawings, paintings, jewelry and other artistic goods. “I loved it so much that I made time for it,” Fearey told The Campus.

MFeareyDesigns allowed Fearey to explore her creative and entrepreneurial spirits. Fearey began selling her products on Etsy, an online marketplace, and in her grandmother’s shop in Edgartown, Mass. Since beginning in 2017, her products have grown in quality and quantity, with her Etsy page recently surpassing 100 total sales. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 9.05.43 PM.png
One of Fearey’s colored pencil portraits.

A key aspect of MFeareyDesigns is the customization — Fearey enjoys working with customers to make personalized products. She’s also charitable, donating 30% of her proceeds on Etsy to Camp Casco, Leukemia & Lymphoma society and the Boston Children's Hospital –– three organizations that Fearey is connected with.

Fearey has now graduated from Middlebury, but the help she received from the college has not been forgotten. The field hockey team, in particular, was excited to wear her products, especially the jewelry. Other friends and classmates helped Fearey by posting pictures of her products on their Instagram stories and making her graphics for social media.

Fearey also received support from the Innovation Hub, which provided her an office in Old Stone Mill on Weybridge Street and helped her launch a MiddSTART crowdfunding campaign. 

During her last month of college, Fearey took the J-term class MiddEntrepreneurs — a course taught by Sam Roach-Gerber and David Bradbury of VCET — which allowed her to hone-in on her business for a month. “Especially at Middlebury, where things move 100 miles per hour, being able to focus on this [was] incredible,” Fearey said.

Fearey is currently interviewing for full-time jobs but is excited to continue working on MFeareyDesigns. “As much as I love making the stuff, I do love running the business side. I would love to expand and commit to this a bit more,” she said.

When asked about tips she would give budding student entrepreneurs, Fearey kept it simple: “I was a full time student-athlete, volunteering and a neuroscience major. There’s not going to be a good time to do it. I loved it so much that I made time for it.”

If you are interested in learning more about MFeareyDesigns, you can check out Fearey’s online portfolio or shop on Etsy. You can also follow the business on Instagram and Facebook

If you are a student entrepreneur looking to connect with other makers at Middlebury, stop by the Innovation Hub for advising, information on entrepreneur-focused classes, or opportunities for workspaces on campus. The Hub offers many resources to students, including mentorship and funding.

Blaise Siefer

Blaise Siefer ‘23.5 is a sports staff writer.

Siefer is majoring in Sociology and minoring in Spanish.

For three semesters in 2021 and 2022, Siefer served as Senior Sports Editor. He also co-founded a Middlebury sports recap podcast, PFL Weekly, which is released on all major streaming platforms every Tuesday. 

Siefer is also the Co-Founder and Co-President of Middlebury Club Soccer.