Letter to the Editor: In Search of Middlebury Swing

Caleb O’Connor, far-right with baton, as a student at the University of Alabama in 1933. (Courtesy Photo)

I have been researching any and all institutions for recordings that were made by my great-grandfather, Caleb O’Connor — known by the nickname “Kay.” He was a guitarist, banjo player, arranger, and even a bandleader in the early 1930s. His final musical arrangement was for Middlebury College, titled “Middlebury Swing.” 

A native of New Haven, Conn., he got his start at what he described as “connector places” in Connecticut, such as the Ritz Ballroom in Bridgeport and the Roger Sherman Ballroom in New Haven. I’m not exactly sure what the timeline is, but he claimed that he played with Mal Hallet and his orchestra. I have not been able to find his name on any records, or written down elsewhere. Many years later, Caleb would find himself living in Vermont, contemplating what to do with his accumulation of music and ability.

Caleb was also in a banjo duo — called the “Banjo Buddies” with a friend named Bill White, who he first performed with at the University of Alabama in 1930. Both were members of the university Glee Club, which later promoted the duo to travel and give concerts throughout the South. A notable performance was for the Miss America Show of 1933, held at the Poli Palace Theater in Bridgeport, Conn. I have not found anything that may have been recorded by the two while they were on the road. 

In 1932 or 1933, Caleb started his own band, which he named after himself: Kay’s Commanders. They played at fraternity and sorority gatherings, and the band included some band members that went onto become famous musicians including Buddy Morrow, Al Klink and Jerry Jerome. Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate a recording of this band. 

By the 1940s, Caleb was working in Hartford, Conn. at either the Hotel Bond or the State Theater, or both. At this time, about 1941, Charlie Barnet came to play at the State Theater, where he met Caleb and asked him to fill in as his guitarist. 

Caleb was doing more arranging for bands at this time, and according to a 1943 article, arranged the tune “Dark Forest” for the Buddy James Orchestra. The other song I can name is titled “Each Time I Close My Eyes,” which Caleb wrote before departing for the Army in 1943. I have sought out recordings of both these songs, but have not been able to find one.

His musical activities after the war were less frequent, but he was still arranging into the mid-1970s. He made one last arrangement — “Middlebury Swing”— for Middlebury College, before donating his music library, and perhaps records, to them. 

I have searched audio archives, from the Library of Congress to Discogs. I have contacted the University of Alabama and now Middlebury College. All of Caleb’s music that got donated (and now lost) was valuable to somebody — his great-grandson. Any help finding records is appreciated, and if you have a relative that may have known Caleb, or was in touch with the pre-war jazz scene, I’d love to hear their story.

Caleb Smith can be reached via email at calsmith@hartford.edu.

Caleb Smith is the great-grandson of Caleb O’Connor.