Seven questions with Skylar Diamandis ’23, men’s swim and dive

Courtesy of Skylar Diamandis
Courtesy of Skylar Diamandis

Skylar Diamandis ’23, from Salt Lake City, UT, is a junior on the men’s swim and water polo teams. In this installment of “Seven Questions,” Diamandis discusses why he chose Middlebury, his experience on the swim and water polo teams, and his elevator pitch to prospective Middlebury students.

Blaise Siefer: Why Middlebury? 

Skylar Diamandis: I toured other NESCAC schools and Middlebury was the most inviting. The people here seemed the most friendly. And it was definitely the prettiest. Academically, I was very interested in environmental studies, and I knew Midd had a great program — so that was a big factor, too.

BS: What’s your favorite part about being on the swim team and why?

SD: The people and sense of community. We train so much that we all really bond with each other. Sometimes, we don’t really want to be [at training] at 6 a.m., but we’re all in it together. The team culture and people hyping you up make it fun for me. 

BS: You’re also the captain of the water polo team at Middlebury. When did you get into the sport, and what do you like about it?

SD: I started playing at summer camp, right after I finished sixth grade. I had never played before — I wasn’t even really swimming at the time. I really liked it, and when I got back from summer camp, my parents found a team in Salt Lake, and I started playing then. It’s both a mental and athletic challenge. There’s a lot of different things to think about while playing. But you also don’t get a break — you are treading water the whole time and someone may be trying to drown you. The combination of those things is something I was really drawn to. 

BS: What are you studying at Middlebury and why does it interest you?

SD: I’m an environmental studies and chemistry joint major. I’m also working on a German minor. Environmental chemistry interests me because, growing up in Salt Lake, we had really terrible air pollution all winter, and it actually affected me — it wasn’t just some concept. And as far as German goes, I wanted to take Spanish when I got here, but Spanish 101 was full. So I was like “I’ll take German, I guess.”

BS: If you had to work at one local Middlebury business, what would it be and why? 

SD: Costellos. The people there are so nice, and the woman who is always working is the most appreciative person every time I go there. 

BS: If you had to live in one building for all four years at Middlebury, which dorm would you choose and why?

SD: I would have to choose the Ross complex. I lived there freshman and sophomore year and having the dining hall inside during the winter was game-changing. 

BS: What would your elevator pitch to prospective Middlebury students be?

SD: Rigorous but rewarding academics. Small enough that you can get to know everyone, but not too small where you don’t meet people. And it’s like summer camp, with a lot more work.

Blaise Siefer

Blaise Siefer ‘23.5 is a sports staff writer.

Siefer is majoring in Sociology and minoring in Spanish.

For three semesters in 2021 and 2022, Siefer served as Senior Sports Editor. He also co-founded a Middlebury sports recap podcast, PFL Weekly, which is released on all major streaming platforms every Tuesday. 

Siefer is also the Co-Founder and Co-President of Middlebury Club Soccer.