Vermont reaches record-breaking case numbers as vaccines roll-out

<a href="https://middleburycampus.com/54420/local/vermont-reaches-record-breaking-case-numbers-as-vaccines-roll-out/attachment/capture-decran-2021-03-26-a-4-14-46-pm/" rel="attachment wp-att-54424"></a> <span class="photocreditinline">Courtesy of NYTimes</span><br />Vermont Covid-19 cases have been on the rise since March 17.
Courtesy of NYTimes
Vermont Covid-19 cases have been on the rise since March 17.

Vermont broke its one-day record for active cases yesterday, reporting new 251 cases, according to state health officials. This brings the total number of Covid-19 cases in Vermont to 18,498 and the seven-day percent positive average to 1.7%. 

Despite rising cases, Governor Scott does not plan on revising the state’s reopening plans. 

This record coincides with the first day that Vermonters over 60 years of age are eligible to make Covid-19 vaccine appointments as part of the state’s recently announced vaccine schedule. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 34.5% of Vermonters have received at least one dose of the vaccine. 

New variants of Covid-19 are on the rise, with the UK variant B.1.1.7 appearing in testing samples at the University of Vermont. 

Dean of Students Derek Doucet referenced these variants in an all-school email on March 25, calling students to continue adherence to Covid-19 guidelines. 

“This concerning news should give us all pause and requires renewed commitment to essential health and safety measures in the final eight weeks of the semester,” Doucet said. 

As of March 26, no additional restrictions on campus had been put into place. 

Lucy Townend

Lucy Townend '22 is a Managing Editor alongside Abigail Chang.

She previously served as a senior section editor, a local editor, and a copy editor.

Townend is majoring in International Politics and Economics, studying  French throughout her years at Middlebury and is planning on completing  a thesis focused on income inequality and regime change.

This previous summer, Townend interned as a private banking analyst  at a mid-sized bank in Chicago and plans to continue her work there  after graduation.