Seasons end abruptly due to coronavirus

The NESCAC canceled all competitions, including conference championships, on March 11 to reduce the spread of Covid-19. The presidents of all 11 NESCAC institutions agreed unanimously on the decision. Following the announcement, athletic directors NESCAC-wide agreed to suspend in-person recruiting through April 30 while simultaneously allowing electronic and written forms of communication. 

A day after the NESCAC’s decision, the NCAA canceled all remaining competitions and winter championships, including the women’s hockey’s NCAA quarterfinal between Middlebury and Endicott College. The game was slated to take place on Saturday, March 14.

Similarly affected were athletes planning to participate in NCAA skiing, track & field, and swimming championships. 

Senior athletes, who were looking forward to rounding out their final seasons, reacted to the news with disappointment.

“The timeline on the decision was so quick,” said Weston Brach ’20, co-captain of the men’s tennis team. “It felt like one day we were training and getting mentally prepared for the first spring matches, and the next day we were told to leave campus.”

Some athletes were already on the cusp of achieving their championship dreams.

I was simply heartbroken. 27 games, 21 wins, a NESCAC championship appearance and a bid to the NCAA's — all for that NCAA tournament,” said Sidney Porter ’20, a member of the women’s hockey team. “Everything we had worked for the entire season that led to the unbelievable opportunity to host that quarterfinal game and have a chance to go to final four, the first time in my four years, was taken away.”