Simple Solutions for Course Registration

Everybody wants to start class on the right note. At Middlebury, the hardest part can be getting into the class. The sign-up period is an intensive two minutes when your webpage is liable to crash, your BannerWeb account might not load, or your slow typing results in missing out on first choice classes. Back-up courses might also be full, triggering a frantic search for any available courses that fit your schedule. There are simple solutions that can reduce the stress and difficulty associated with course registration. 

The upperclassmen frequently advise disappointed first-years that registration becomes less stressful with each semester. But that is an improvement in individual standing, not a solution for the larger issue. Any registration system will prioritize upperclassmen. That does not mean the only solution should be waiting to move up the proverbial totem pole. Any system can be improved.

A simple solution to reduce stress and increase the frequency of positive outcomes would be to create a multi-round registration system. The first round would allow everyone to enter their top choice classes. A break between rounds one and two would allow students to identify the availability of second choice courses in a calm environment. The break could be anywhere from an hour to a day. This slight variation on the current system allows time to process and prepare, instead of rushing to find another course in the heat of the moment. 

It is worth noting that departments do a great job responding to long wait lists and assisting as many students as possible during the add/drop period. Some courses added new sections due to higher than anticipated registration requests. Adding sections to in-demand classes should be encouraged. It is important to respond to student interest in a subject and assist everyone in developing a course of study that fits their needs.  

Adding last-minute sections is an important step in easing the stress and negative feelings that are associated with a bad course registration experience. However, it would be preferable to have the necessary number of sections at the start of the registration process. Adding a new section at the start of the year might be complicated by needing to find open rooms, available professors and a time that works for the greatest number of students. Another simple solution could help avoid the problem of overflowing waitlists for classes without an appropriate number of seats. A survey of interest could be sent to college students before the number of sections for each course is finalized. The survey could ask students to list five courses they are interested in taking during the next semester. Departments would be able to better identify courses that need more sections before registration begins, limiting the need to add sections at the last minute. 

The current course registration process can quickly spiral, leaving some students scrambling to create a full schedule. The add/drop period and the creation of new sections can help students recover from the registration period, but it is preferable to have a strong registration system that limits the need for adjustments. A few simple changes will create a calmer system and result in higher student satisfaction.