Calling All Investigators

Welcome back to college. As the school year ramps up, we would like to share with you an upcoming project we are really excited about. One of our many goals this year is to write long-term, in-depth pieces that look at student life on campus, in addition to our weekly coverage. In that spirit, we have already started to put together the first in a series of articles that will examine sexual assault and misconduct at Middlebury.

We believe that the conversation about sexual assault on college campuses — which is often part of our national dialogue — needs to be a larger part of our everyday life here at Midd. We believe that thoughtful journalism can change discourse within a community, and that we, as the student newspaper, have a part to play in this conversation. We are committed to putting the necessary time and energy into this reporting — to elevate voices that often remain unheard.

Over the course of the semester, we will write about different aspects of this issue. We will talk to student groups like MiddSafe and It Happens Here to learn about the organizations on campus that do work surrounding sexual assault. We will speak with the Title IX office about enforcement, and look into programs like Green Dot. Our first story, scheduled to come out next week, will cover the changes to Title IX policy Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos announced last Thursday.

We also hope to speak to survivors that are willing to share their stories, anonymously or otherwise. If you have story you would like to share as part of this project, or if there is a topic you would like us to cover, please do not hesitate to reach out to campus staff. We are happy to meet with you and talk you through our process if you are interested in participating.

The features team can be reached at features@middleburycampus.com.