Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Local Lowdown

Dog-sledding lecture
March 11, 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
The Ilsley Public Library has planned an exciting event for all ages. Ed Blechner, who works at Vermont Dog Sled Rides, Skijoring and Tours, will bring one of his trained sled dogs, Miko, to the lecture. He will discuss the art of dog sledding, as well as answer any questions from the audiences and both read and tell stories of his experiences at the head of the sled. All children in attendance will be invited to play with Miko. Call the library at (802) 388-4097 for more information or send an email to kathryn.laliberte@ilsleypubliclibrary.org.

Chili festival
March 12, 2 p.m. – 4p.m.
Are you ready for Middlebury’s third annual Winter Carnival and Chili Contest on Main Street? This year, over 50 different chili vendors from three Vermont counties will offer samples of their homemade specialties. The last two years, the festival has been named one of Vermont’s Top 10 Winter Events, and there are high expectations for a third nomination. Bring an empty stomach and venture downtown for the special celebration!

Jazz quartet
March 12, 8 p.m. – 9 p.m.
A New York-based jazz quartet is headed to Brandon Music, at 62 Country Club Road. The group plans to play a myriad of tunes and to add some improvisational numbers, as well. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased at Brandon Music or by calling (802) 465-4071. Visit http://www.brandonmusicvt.com with any additional questions.

Food drive breakfast
March 13, 8 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Bring two or more nonperishable cans of food to the Orwell Town Hall and enjoy a full buffet breakfast. The Orwell Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts are planning a breakfast extravaganza to benefit the Whiting Food Shelf, where all food and money will be donated. The breakfast menu includes scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage, in addition to French toast, pancakes and hash browns. Fruit, juice, coffee and tea will be available for all.

Spring garden talk
March 13, 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Shari Johnson, the Master Gardener and co-president of the Middlebury Garden Club, is excited to share her love of nature with locals. Join Johnson at the Sheldon Museum for her lecture, “Herbs.” She plans to discuss the various uses for herbs, including culinary, medicinal and fragrant purposes, as well as for decoration or as dye. The talk costs $10, and is one of four lectures to take place at the museum this spring. A ticket to all four discussions is $35. Call the museum at (802) 388-2117 or send an email to http://www.henrysheldonmuseum.org to reserve a spot.

New Haven dance
March 13, 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Put your dancing shoes on! The New Haven Town Hall will host an open dance festival starting this Sunday, and continuing every Sunday through April 10. A love for swing, blues and waltz are a must, and a $3 donation is preferred. Participants should bring clean, soft-soled shoes and call (802) 475-2349 or email jscondon@mac.com for more information.