Thursday, May 2, 2024

Local Lowdown

One-World Library Project presentation

Feb. 17, 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.

Tonight, enjoy a presentation entitled “Not Lost in Translation: Yoko Ogawa’s The Housekeeper and the Professor,” at the Lawrence Memorial Library in Bristol. Steve Snyder, Professor of Japanese Studies, will discuss the challenges of translating Ogawa’s popular book from Japanese into English. The talk is part of the One-World Library Project, a rich collection of books and films about other world cultures, which is held at the library, located at 40 North St. in Bristol. Don’t miss this fascinating presentation from a Middlebury professor! Call (802) 453-4741 or visit http://www.oneworldlibraryproject.org for more information.

Presentation on Vermont Yankee

Feb. 18, 7 p.m. – 8 p.m.

Head down to the Ilsley Library this Friday to learn about Middlebury’s energy future and Vermont Yankee, a nuclear power plant in Vernon, Vt., which generates over one third of the state’s electricity. Meredith Angwin, director of the Ethan Allen Institute’s Energy Education Project, will give a presentation and lead a question and answer session. Angwin, a physical chemist, works to educate Vermonters about their energy options and helps them make choices based on the facts. The Addison County Republican Committee is sponsoring the talk.

Friday night movie

Feb. 18, 7:30 p.m.

Not feeling MCAB’s Free Friday Film this week? Head over to the Vergennes Opera House (VHO) to enjoy a free screening of Mamma Mia!, sponsored by Linda’s Apparel and Gifts. The movie, inspired by Abba songs, is sure to entertain all. Make the night into an off-campus adventure, and check out the great restaurants Vergennes has to offer too. Call the VHO at (802) 877-6737 for more information.

Performance at Town Hall Theater

Feb. 18 and 19, 8 p.m. – 10 p.m., Feb. 19 and 20, 2 p.m.

This weekend at Middlebury’s Town Hall Theater (THT), husband and wife acting duo Jim Stapleton and Diana Bigelow will star in “Henry and Emily: the Muses of Massachusetts.” This engaging play is based on the lives and work of writers Henry David Thoreau and Emily Dickinson. Tickets are $17/$15, and are available at the THT box office. You can also visit http://townhalltheater.org or call (802) 382-9222 to purchase tickets. Don’t miss this great event!

Author reading

Feb. 19, 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.

Join local author and College Archivist Bob Buckeye for a discussion of his recent work, a biography of Middlebury photographer hazel Dow Wood. The biography is the final installment in Buckeye’s Quarry Books series on important people in Addison County. The talk will be held at the Vermont Book Shop, located at 38 Main St.