Monday, May 6, 2024

Local Lowdown

Middlebury Arts

October 8, 5 p.m. - 7 p.m.

Come join fellow Middlebury residents for the Arts Walk, a leisurely promenade through downtown Middlebury and Marble Works. There will be much art on display, as well as music and food. This month over 40 different venues are showcasing their artistic masterpieces. Call (802)388-7951 ext. 2 or email the committee at infor@middleburyartwalk.com for more information.

The Edgar Allan Poe Show

October 8, 8 p.m. - 9p.m.

Mary’s at Baldwin Creek in Bristol, Vt. invites all to attend the Edgar Allan Poe Show. The play acts out one of Poe’s stories and delves into the mind of Mary Shelley and her Frankenstein. The production is directed by Deb Gwinn, and she recommends wearing warm layers to the play as it will outside in the Big Red Barn. Tickets are $10 and call (802)989-7226 to reserve your seats.

Wildlife Walk

October 9, 8 a.m. - 10 a.m.

The Middlebury Area Land Trust and Otter Creek Audubon sponsor this monthly walk through the Otter View Park and Hurd Grassland. Those interested in the walk, which includes marsh, meadow and grassland terrain, should call (802)399-1007 or (802)388-6829. The group will convene at the Otter View Park parking lot on the corner of Weybridge Street and Pulp Mill Bridge Road, and both birds as well as an assortment of other species will be observed.

Five-Town 5K

October 9, 8 a.m.

For the fifth year, the Five-Town 5K, which starts in South Starksboro, Vt. is donating all proceeds to the Starksboro Cooperative Preschool. It costs $15 to run the race and $5 if individuals choose the “tot trot” or shorter walking path instead. The run winds through five local towns on country roads, and is a beautiful route as the foliage is in bloom and the mountains sit in the foreground. Runners and walkers will meet at the Jerusalem Schoolhouse, behind the South Strarksboro country store. Call (802)453-4427 for specific details.

Wild Game Dinner

October 9, 5 p.m. - 7 p.m.

The Neshobe Sportsman Club in Brandon, Vt. encourages all to come to dinner on Saturday. Venison, moose and bear will be served, in addition to sides, including mashed potatoes, vegetables, rolls, pie and several beverage options. The price is $9 for adults, $5 for kids ages 5 to 10 and free for children under 5. Call (802)247-6687 for more information.

Furniture Making

October 11, 12 p.m. - 12:30 p.m.

Ferrisburgh resident Craig Farrow will lead a workshop and explain the techniques and tools he uses to construct his pieces. Beverages and desserts will be provided, but people are encouraged to bring their own lunch. Farrow’s demonstration is at the Henry Sheldon Museum and the entrance fee is $2 per person. For more information, contact the museum at (802)388-2117.